26 center cam bearing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 26 center cam bearing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike mclean on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:44 pm:

I am rebuilding my 26engine putting in the cam and bearings the front bearing is easy but the center bearing one half has part of one end cut away does this go to the front of the block or to the rear thanks mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:48 pm:

That is the front bearing and the notch goes to the front of the motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:50 pm:

It is that way to allow clearance for the lifter. Ideally the hole in the outer side will line it up correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:50 pm:

I misspoke. The notch goes toward the back of the motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

Dave, I think the notch in the front bearing goes to the rear. The notch is so the bearing clears the cam lobe. This is an area where the lobe chews the back of the bearing if a re-ground camshaft is used without a thrust kit.

I could be wrong. Memory is a tricky thing.

Allan from own under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 05:05 pm:

The Ford service manual has a section that details the installation and location of the camshaft bearings in detail. Very clear for those who read the manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike mclean on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

its a 1926 so it has the new bearing I am asking about the center bearing s the one half has the locking pin the other has one end with a piece cut of whitch way does the cut of end go to front or back of engine mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:14 pm:

center bearing has the notch facing rear. i'm lookin at an old cam layin on the floor just out the other day

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:39 pm:

I don't think it makes any difference. You can install it either way. The 4th and 5th cam lobes are the same distance away from the bearing, so there is no risk of a hitting a lobe which ever way it is installed. I see the Ford manual calls for the notch being at the rear. I don't understand that. Maybe it has to do with oil getting to the bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:46 pm:

well, if you are going to keep the notch facing a lifter it can only go one way, turning it around puts the locking hole on the wrong side

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

It is NOT for the cam lobe. The lobe turns with the cam and it will move all the way around the bearing. It could be for the head of the lifter when the lifter is on the heel of the cam. Install it and turn the engine around a few times to be sure that nothing hits and you will be OK.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:29 pm:

I have never used a notched cam bearing in the center position. The center and front bearings are different. The front bearing is longer than the center one and requires the notch to clear the lifter face.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike mclean on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:34 am:

thanks guys it's to the rear and it clear's and john I read the ford service book and it does not say were it should go that's why we ask on here mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 09:19 am:

On page 290, paragraph 480 the Ford manual states that 'the center bearing is assembled to the shaft with the notch in the bearing pointing towards the rear end of the camshaft'.

Also reading paragraph 482 near center of paragraph when installing camshaft with bearings installed 'The set screw in center bearing will then be at the the edge of the set screw hole in the cylinder. As there is a clearance between center bearing and cam and etc---.

I think Norman has it right if you use the notched bearing. Its to clear the lifter. And ALWAYS check things as you go when assembling. And that's if I remember!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration