Michelin claims new tire gets better with age

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Michelin claims new tire gets better with age
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 05:38 pm:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/post--michelin-claims-new-tire-gets-better- with-age?icid=autos_5209

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 05:07 am:

Back in the day of real rubber in tyres, a well-heeled motorist would, I am told, buy a set of tyres and put them away in a dark shed for quite some time- a year or more. When the current running tyres wore out, the NOS ones would then be fitted and another set bought to be put aside to 'age'. Most motorists never had the available funds for such niceties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 04:51 pm:

I was wondering if this is an inside to the rubber recipe that could be used in the current tires being made today. There is a lot of discussion on this forum as to the longevity of the tires being made now and how it is less that tires made years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 05:05 pm:

All I remember about tires in the 60's and 70's was that a polyester or nylon tire was thought to be really good if you got 15 k on it, 20 k was almost unheard of in this part of the country. I currently have over 40k on a set of 21" Bedfords but attribute that to the much better roads we have. I won't run 40 or 50 year old tires as I think more of my grand childrens safety than that. The tires made now of any brand in my opinion are much better, longevity? time will tell. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:58 pm:

My last set of Michelins lasted 90,000 miles. My current set still has good tread at 65,000 miles.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration