OT - Identify this car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Identify this car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 05:41 pm:

While sorting through a pile of old photo's, we came across these two photos. Can someone identify that make of car this is. It appears to have a Rolls Royce style radiator which may be an aftermarket as the hood has a rounded shape to it. Also, the front pillars have a distinctive forward flair at the top where they meet the roof. There appears to be several louvers at the front of the hood, then is blank at least to where it disappears under the spare tire.

Car1

OldCar2

Thanks,
Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:57 am:

Moon? They had a Rolls-Royce-like radiator shell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:53 am:

I think it is a Moon too. Moon made the same cars as either Moon or Diana. The Diana series had a more streamlined radiator shell and fit the hood closely. The Moon had the Rolls Royce radiator shell. For some models Moon used drum headlights, others had round back headlamps.

The ultimate Moon is of course a Ruxton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 09:20 am:

I have just sent a link to this thread to Jeff Buckley, President of the Moon Car Club here in St. Louis, and invited him to comment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:45 am:

I kinda thought it's a Moon too, but I looked at some other photos of Moons from that period and couldn't find a model that matched that rear side window. Maybe it just has some sort of accessory trim kit or something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:57 am:

Jeff just sent me an e-mail. He says he is unable to post on the forum (not sure why), but asked me to post this:

From Jeff Buckley, President of the Moon Car Club - Thank you Dick for sending this to me. Upon review of the pictures I am pretty sure that this car is not a Moon or a car made by Moon (Diana and Windsor). The radiator shell is like a Moon but they phased those out by the mid-20's with only the Series A Moon keeping it until 1927. Those cars did not have a rounded body style like you see here. This car appears to be a later 1920's car. I understand that there were several other car manufacturers that copied the Rolls in their radiator design and this appears to be one of them. To see more pictures of Moons, go to our website www.mooncarclub.com

Regards,
Jeff Buckley
President, Moon Car Club

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 11:42 am:

Could it be a Buick with a "Continental" kit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manuel Voyages, ACT Australia on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 03:55 pm:

Can someone enlarge one of the hubcaps??
Maybe one is clear enough to read what is on it.

Manuel in Oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 04:26 pm:

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The way the hood and radiator shell meet does kind of look like a Moon, but I couldn't find any body which looked like it. I also couldn't find a Buick body like it either. I did find a Chrysler body which was similar and an add for a Paige which had a similar quarter window setup. But the rest of the body wasn't a match. Most of the bodies I've found have a body line which runs down the body at the height of the hood hinge. This body doesn't seem to have that.

I've blown up the hubcaps and I can't make out anything. The glare has washed out all the detail.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 04:38 pm:

Could it be a Rolls Royce? They we all custom bodied in those days. Has a Rolls like radiator and what appears to be a "Flying Lady" radiator cap. Also look closely at the way the people are dressed.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 05:39 pm:

I'm with Ron on this one. It could well be a Rolls with custom coachwork. The lines suggest US design rather than English. I have no knowledge of Springfield closed cars, so cannot attribute it to that origin. They did make what I consider the most desirable Rolls open cars. There is a beautiful Springfield Rolls touring car in the Bothwell collection in LA, US design flair with British engineering quality.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:20 pm:

I think it may be a McFarlan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:29 pm:

McFarlan 1924 twin valve six

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:04 pm:

Roamer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

Might be a Roamer. Rare car, not many pics online. Here's a 1922 Roamer Roadster:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 09:24 pm:

I'm thinking 1928 Elcar. They have the Rolls Royce radiator shell. The advertisements show the same little grouping of louvers at the front of the hood. The fenders look the same. The body line under the windows has the same rounded back at the quarter window.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:29 pm:

David wins. It is an Elcar.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration