Hap and the "singing coils"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Hap and the "singing coils"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:25 pm:

Hap:

I did not see the story of the singing coils before and had tears in my eyes while reading it. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Someone suggested that you have it published in both the Model T Ford magazines. I think that is a very good idea. We all need to encourage young people to excel in what they do, and make sure they have a sense of accomplishment when doing it!

Thanks again for sharing,

Arnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:31 pm:

Please share with us. Where do we find it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:27 pm:

Here is a link

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/10844.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 04:56 am:

Arnie, thanks for bringing Hap's story to our attention.
Hap, what a wonderful tale, with such a great message for folks of today, I humbly thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 05:25 am:

Thanks Steve and Arnie and Thank You Hap, I love reading your stories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:18 am:

The title of this thread would make a great name for a nightclub act.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:52 am:

Hey Jeff I really thought Hap had a little barbershop gang singing when I saw the thread title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:00 am:

I can sympathize with Hap's experience. As a baby my parents used to load me in the Model T sitting on the floor in the front seat. I usually sat with my back against the firewall, head between the speedometer and the coil boxas we drove to VMCA or HCCA meets (there was no Model T Ford Club of America then). Any of my earliest memories of Model T's always include the coils singing.

There's no way I would ever own a Model T that didn't have a functioning magneto and coil system. It's the heart and soul of any Model T. Without that, its just something else, not a Model T any more to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:51 am:

I agree with Royce about the coils and magneto. They are the heart and soul of a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:15 pm:

I saw Hap's post back then, but I had forgotten what a wonderful message it carried. My thanks again go out to Hap, and to Arnie for reminding us.

So Hap, that was written in '06, and you mentioned that your kids would be out of college in 4 years, then you could get back to work on Blackie. Is he back on the road yet? :-)

And, BTW, I am in the same camp as Royce and John concerning the mag and coils ignition system. Without those, a car is less than a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 01:37 pm:

Hap's dad was teaching by example, the most effective way. His story made me think of this Facebook comment from yesterday:

I wasn't a big fan as a kid because he was on TV and we had radio. My hero was Roy. BUT: As a young actor in Hollywood Bill Boyd liked to party as much as anybody, but once he took on his most famous role he wouldn't smoke or drink because he felt a responsibility to set an example for his audience. He didn't want any kid to see him do something Hoppy wouldn't do. You may never be famous, but you have an audience every day. You may even be somebody's hero without knowing it. Even if teaching isn't your profession, chances are you're teaching every day.

By the way, that picture of Hap and Blackie shows that the Tuckers were environmentally ahead of their time, using a solar clothes dryer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 03:29 pm:

So now he should start a band "Hap along Cassidy" and the Singing Coils.

I enjoyed the story the first time I read it and I am very glad to see it brought up again. I agree it should be published.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 09:54 am:

Mike – the both girls graduated and are married now. As I mentioned in the posting about “Who owns both an “A” and “T”, if I could only keep one antique car it would be Blackie, our 1915 cut off because of all those great memories of my Dad as well as my Mom. But for ease of repair as well as funding, Blackie is number 2 or 3 on the old car “to do list.” That stock market “adjustment” a few years ago moved several projects (like the larger garage) to the right.

I’m glad some of you enjoyed that story. I was very blessed to have a great Mom and Dad. I know others were not as fortunate and they may even have had a bad role model. And at least one of our regular forum members never knew his Dad because he “gave all” during WWII so those of us remaining could be free. We owe so much too many men and women that we will not be able to meet on this side of heaven.

As Steve Jelf mentioned above, we all have the opportunity to impact others. Hopefully I’m intentional about trying to make things a little better for the time I’m here on this earth. And for those of you fortunate enough to still have your Mom and Dad here, I would encourage you to call them, hug them, etc. while you still can. And for those kids, grandkids, and neighbors, etc. give them a boost when you can. You never know which ones will go on to be computer gurus, soldiers, etc. and which ones in addition to their work will also continue to share our hobby with others in the future.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration