Ford embossed oil can with "E" on opposite side??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ford embossed oil can with "E" on opposite side??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodney Aspenson on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

Just picked up an old Ford oil can with an "E" stamped on the back of it... Does anyone know if this was for some particular model car or tractor???
Thanks in advance for any information!!!
Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:46 am:

Made by Eagle which is still in business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 03:01 am:

The Ford oil cans came with a bracket and were mounted on the firewall. There is a complete study in a fiew editions back in the Vintage Ford Magazine. They were available up to the first fiew months of the Model As.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:08 am:

Please tell more, David?
I've always thought Ford oil cans were supplied with every car, but brackets were aftermarket accessories?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:36 am:

The brackets are indeed non Ford parts. They sure are nice if you want to carry a full can of oil with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 09:25 am:

I have an oil can on a bracket under my hood. It is just for show as even one or two drops will bounce out as that bracket vibrates as I drive.

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:48 am:

Not just for show, To follow the lubrication chart like oiling the spindle bolts every 100 miles, it's very handy to have the oil can on the firewall ready to use all the time :-)
lube chart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:33 pm:

I expect that the oil can, tools, jack, and side curtains were placed underneath the rear seat on cars which had one, and in the turtle on others. The under-hood oil can location would be more convenient for folks who followed Ford's lube recommendations. That's probably why those under-hood oil can brackets were so popular.

Maybe the original owners of the cars followed those lube suggestions, but I suspect that subsequent owners paid them little heed. At least that's what I gather from seeing them now. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:11 pm:

To anyone who may have the Vintage Ford article, could you post the 'high points' of the article? I know there were different suppliers of the cans to Ford and I know there were some with Ford in large and some in small script.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration