OT - Totally: Who can ID this?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Totally: Who can ID this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:13 am:

There's a lot of knowledge about a lot of things on this forum; let's see if somebody can explain this.

This is what my grandfather used under shingles instead of felt paper, because it was free. Who can explain what it is and how it was used before he brought it home?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan Mason on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:36 am:

Perhaps it is a press pull (no ink and thicker paper) used to check the layout of the page. Could also check for errors.

Evan in Paso

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:41 am:

Is it rubberized? I think that's what replaced the lead galleys in rotary presses. Sort of a mold of the print layout that was then fixed to the press cylinder that printed the newspaper. Just a shot in the dark...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:53 am:

It is put in a form and lead is pored in and it makes a printing plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 02:55 am:

I am an old time printer and Mike is correct. It is called a newspaper mat (matrix) The entire form is hand assembled and is placed in a steam press with the compressed paper mat material on top and the image is pressed in to it. The original type is negative, the mat is positive, the lead form is negative and it ends up positive on the paper. The mat is formed on to a cylinder and the lead is poured in the shape of a cylinder and the cast lead it clamped on to the cylinder of the press and spins at thousands of RPMs. When the paper is printed the cast lead cylinder is removed an melted down for the next edition. The mats became waste and were burned or put in the garbage. Some companies would commercially produce the mats and distribute through the mail to several printing shops and they would have their own casting machines, most of that service was cast flat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:09 am:

I knew somebody would get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve miller- mississauga,ontario on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:32 am:

"Hoover lauded by Dry League" and "Millions lost in beer taxes" plus 1 day divorces.
I am glad I missed the Dirty Thirties

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 02:04 pm:

The one that caught my eye was TEN DIE AS FEUDS FLARE IN KENTUCKY. This issue of The Traveler was printed in 1932 and a major movie about Kentucky feuds was released in 1936.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration