1927 license plate clips for headlight bar.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1927 license plate clips for headlight bar.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:39 am:

The 27 used license plate clips to attach the plate to the newly added headlight bar. I have seen the clips attached in several ways. The photo of the 15 millionth car shows the clips clearly visible. Is this the accepted mounting or are the attached similar to the Model A clips which are placed behind the plate making them invisible while somewhat centering the tag in the headlight bar? Here's the 15 millionth coming off of the assembly line.15 millionth
Thank you for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:52 am:

Brent:

Difficult to determine if the "standard" front license plate bracket is installed on the front spring clamp.

Since the landmark 15 millionth car was to be driven off the assembly line by Edsel, possible that the dealer plate was clamped on the headlight bar to be more visible for the camera's ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:18 am:

During the 1926 calendar year there was mention of using license plate clamps on the headlight tie bar for cars with bumpers.... no bumpers on the 15 Mil car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:24 am:

From the MTFCA Encyclopedia.... 1926,,,,

"APR 19 Letter from the Chicago branch

"The Police Department has called to our attention the fact that our license brackets obscure the license place on all cars equipped with bumpers.

"In order that we may comply with the law, our headlamps are being changed so that when assembled to the car, they are fastened together with a tie rod which will make the lamps and fenders more rigid and will change the position of the license plate so that it will not be covered by the bumpers.

"This change will go into effect in the very near future. We are giving you this information in advance in order that you may take care of your stock order accordingly."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 11:17 am:

I was under the understanding that the said license plate clamps were standard Model "A". I installed my license plate as shown, however I additionally had my vintage plate on top and developed an overheating problem on a long grade, over a third of the rad was covered, a large plate could have an adverse effect to cooling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 09:52 am:

Brent, you input ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 12:04 pm:

If that picture is official Ford, the plate would hang down. I, however place the clips with the bolts at the top and the plate in front of the clip. The reason for this is that after driving into the wind, the plate is more likely to hit the radiator if hung under like the one in the picture. When it is placed with the bolts at the top as I do, it does not twist into the radiator. I think that is also why it was done that way on the Model A.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 12:09 pm:

I agree with Norm. I think I looked into that with our model A when we hung a plate on the front. Same clips so it would make sense. Also less air restriction although never had a cooling problem on the A or T with front plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 12:25 pm:

Thinking it through a bit more, these were likely an item supplied but not installed on the late cars. For me, anyway, it was a natural impulse to install them the first time with the plate hanging down. After driving a bit, and seeing the plate work itself down to touching the radiator, I hit the books and found most all model A pics (using the same clips) show with the clip behind the plate. Takes a bit more effort to fasten them that way, but they don't move afterwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 04:04 pm:

Thanks guys.
I have a feeling that the attached photo is a Ford historical print. I have seen the clips both ways. I understand that the plate could swing right into the radiator while on the road.
Bob, I had read that the use of the new clips was largely due to law enforcement.
I do know that this is strictly a 27 and Model A part.
I had an A and those clips were mounted just like Norman indicated. When I saw the attached photo it made me wonder.
I also wonder if the clips were installed incorrectly at the factory since a license plate would have never shipped on the Model T. Just a thought.
Again, thanks for your help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

The license clips are a late '26 and '27 part, listed in the Dec 1, 1926 Price List of Parts and Accessories as#3665 Front License Clip, $.05 ea. It is only for the headlamp bar equipped Improved Ford.

The clip probably fits to the rear of the plate, as if the plated is 'hung' from the clip, it will swing on you.

These gals placed the plate above the headlamp bar, and out of the way for swinging the hand crank :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 04:57 pm:

Assembly line picture showing the Improved Car equipped with a pair of those license clips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:50 pm:

Thanks Dan, learn something every day !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 11:52 am:

If the plate is mounted above the bar and the clips are or become loose the plate will end up hanging down and facing backwards.
That's gravity for ya.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 12:04 pm:

What's going on with the hubs on that roadster the gals are cranking?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

Accessory hub covers - we have them on several of our T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 03:45 pm:

I have the clips with the plate below the bar and have never had an issue with the plate moving around. I drive a lot of dirt roads with plenty of ruts and frequently have to tighten things as rattles get too loud but I have never had any trouble with the license plate clips requiring attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:34 am:

The early plate clamps supplied on Model A's, similar to T's I presume, do not really allow the plate to be mounted in front of the clamp.
A later clamp was supplied that has a flat front & this is the one people see with the plate over the clamp.
The plate should not move into the radiator if it is secured properly, I have some leather between the clamp & bar which binds it well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:13 am:

Bob J. -- I asked Brent Terry about this and here is his reply:

Mike, two or three things I would do is have someone going to Benson Archives who can pull the print and see what the drawing date is based on that number. The T-3665 number is likely an assembly drawing which will have the individual parts listed on it. From there you can look at the Engineer’s Releases and find out any and all superseded parts. Once that is done so you know when the part went into production, you know about when to look in the Service Bulletins to see if there was any instruction regarding this. On the Model-A (which basically used the same engineers as what the New Improved car did) used clips mounted on the bar that specified the plate hung below the bar. In May of 1929, engineering modified the clips to still hold the plate below the bar however the bolts were moved to the top of the bar. Hope this helps some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

If you're going for function over points, the insulated wire clamps (Santoprene Clamps) work well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:53 pm:

Oh, Ken -- That's just tacky. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration