Steering Gear Bind

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Steering Gear Bind
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 11:48 am:

I am working on my 1922 Touring Car steering. I purchased a new set of 4:1 steering gears and pins and they seem to bind in a few spots when the wheel is turned. What's the solution here? Is it true that these replacement Steering gears are not the same as the originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 02:22 pm:

Put some Clover lapping compound in the gear box and turn until it feels smooth. Rinse out the Clover and metal shavings with solvent, rinse with soapy water and dry with compressed air. Then grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 02:49 pm:

New set of 4:1? Didn't know they were reproduced?
Maybe it's 5:1 gears you've bought, I've seen them in the vendors catalogs. Be sure everything is 5:1 from the steering shaft to the pinion and upper shaft is 5:1, mixing gears won't work.

The old 4:1 housing can be used but is often found to be tight with new gears, so I think Royce's suggestion is right on, use some lapping compound. Another brand you can use is Timesaver green label for hard metals. (Timesaver Yellow label is great for adjusting soft metals like babbitt )
http://www.newmantools.com/lapping/time.htm

(maybe yellow label will work - on the housing only, but that's perhaps enough?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 03:41 pm:

It is the nature of foreign-made, after-market parts to be dimensionally out of spec. That's just the way it is. If your setup basically works, but binds in a few places, consider yourself lucky, because in the case of my T, the gentleman who did the gearing ratio switch-over for me had nothing but trouble and the eventual solution to the problem involved changing steering-gear boxes.

Royce is right; you just need to lap the gears in. A few years after my steering problem was sorted out, some kid at a car show got a little rambunctious with my steering wheel and I wound up with the same situation you now have. I couldn't get "Time-Saver" lapping compound at my local store, so I used ordinary valve-grinding compound and that worked out great. But Royce really knows his stuff and if he recommends Clover brand, I'm sure that'd be the best stuff to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:32 pm:

Roger: Here is a set of 4:1 Steering Gears from Lang's

http://www.modeltford.com/item/3517-19.aspx

I will try out some compound and lap them in. Any idea as to why they don't just drop in? Are there little burs on the new gears or are they cut differently then the original ones?

Royce: Will course Grit or fine grit lapping compound work in place of the Clover Lapping compound that you suggested?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

Adam,

I would use either if they were in my garage. If I were buying one specially for this purpose I would buy the coarse grit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 11:01 pm:

Your case could also be warped just a little,that will bind it up .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:21 am:

I switched both my '23TT and '25 coupe to 5to1 gears and had no problems at all. I did use used gears and and steering shafts though. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 10:56 am:

I tried to put the new 4:1 gears in my 24, i had to drive them on and pry them of, after trying them a couple of times i measured the OD of the gears and they were way to large to fit i don't think anything could make them fit so i used the old gears and returned the new ones.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 11:01 am:

I have some NOS 4:1 gear set-ups if needed danuser88@ktis.net

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration