OT - History of the car radio.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - History of the car radio.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:07 pm:

This might be interesting to some
http://www.antiqueradiomuseum.org/thecarradio.htm

Ref. a previous radio thread
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/416755.html?1390099788

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 02:49 pm:

Interesting article. When you own something as basic as a Model T, people always ask you about things like turn signals, brake lights and even radios and you wonder when these things first came out. Then there is the Lear Jet history. I own my own Lear Jet (that's what I tell the ladies), you can see a picture of it here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 05:29 pm:

Dave;
Never heard of that brand of Citizen Band radio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 05:38 pm:

Not to many around I think. It is from the same company that made the jets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:15 pm:

I seem to remember one of those info emails going around a couple of years ago about how the Lear Jet Company started.
I wonder if anyone can find it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:52 pm:

I'm wondering how you get stereo out of a CB signal? And why? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:13 pm:

You might be joking Ken but just in case you're not, there was also a line of car stereos made by Lear Jet and they were pretty popular compared to the fairly obscure CB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:32 pm:

Perhaps my screen or my eyes are faulty but doesn't it say "stereo" under the brand name Lear Jet on that CB?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:41 pm:

Yes. The brand name they used was "Lear Jet Stereo" because car stereos were the main business. That name just looks a bit funny on the CB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:48 pm:

Ok. I guess if your name is Lear, you can get away with anything. That wouldn't fly today. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:19 pm:

I read years ago that he named his daughter Shanda. His wife was the daughter to Olson of Olson & Johnson a comedy team in Vaudeville.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:19 pm:

Lear's claim to car fame was the 8-track cassette car player. He improved the earlier four track design and made it popular.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

Car radio made pretty quick progress. The radio in my mom's 1940 Plymouth was very good. Listening to KFAC on it I discovered Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto. Great stuff!

Ole Olson and Chic Johnson were funny guys. If you ever get a chance to see their movie version of Hellzapoppin, "don't miss it if you can".

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration