Engine ground on non starter non generator car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Engine ground on non starter non generator car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 03:58 pm:

I'm rewiring my 15 touring. IT has no starter or generator. I do sometimes use a battery for starting and running.

Is there any kind of engine to frame ground, or engine to negative battery post, necessary or desirable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 05:44 pm:

Bud, on all of my early cars I use a battery when crank starting. I have never found a need for any extra engine to frame earth.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:37 pm:

Me either. Our Touring has a lantern battery for battery starting. It is just grounded to a frame bolt somewhere near the rear of the frame (Battery is under back seat). Never had a problem with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:35 pm:

Bud
As Hal points you will have to have both terminals of the battery connected somehow to complete the electrical circuit.
On a car with no generator and starter the positive side of the battery is usually connected to the coilbox (with a switch?) to the Battery (be sure you do not get this wire hooked to the magneto side in any way) input connection and the negative side of the battery to the frame or engine. The coilbox completes the circuit from the battery to the coils when the switch is in the battery position and to the magneto when the switch is in tha magneto position.
If you have any questions give ma a call.
Ron the Coilman
859-881-1677

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 09:35 am:

Hey Ron - does your ma know more than you do.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 09:36 am:

The T motor is bonded to the frame in so many places and the coil current is so small that any connection to any ground in the car has always worked for me. The engine is bonded to the frame in the following places:

Front wishbone to pan
Front end of pan to cross member
Pan mounting ears to frame
Engine dust covers if installed
Drive shaft ball
Drive shaft
Exhaust pipe to muffler
Fuel line
Clutch lever when the hand brake is pulled
Throttle lever
Choke rod
timer lever (except with New Day timer)

With the possible exception of the exhaust pipe, choke rod, timer lever, and fuel line, just about any one of the others could easily provide sufficient grounding to power the starter and any of them would be sufficient to power the coil box. In typical "lets add some problems with overkill" fashion - folks add all sorts of unnecessary things to "improve" the grounding. The one thing they seem reluctant to do is actually check the installation of the battery to frame ground strap. They always assume that is not the problem :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 10:39 am:

Thanks for all the good info. I have the battery negative bonded to the frame at two different places. I guess I won't worry about the frame to engine in light of the above comments.

Again ...thanks!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration