Model a engine, mated to t trans.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model a engine, mated to t trans.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 06:13 am:

I remember seeing along some where a model a engine that was installed in a t chassis. I believe that the oil pans were modified and the t trans bolted to the model a crank. Not that I would do such a thing. I just thought it was fascinating. Any one remember it and have pics or know someone who did it. Or even know how they did it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:55 am:

My dad did this about 30 years ago. He had to section both the Modet T oil pan and the Model A oil pan. The A crank had to be reworked to allow the T transmission to bolt up. The water pump was replaced with a heavily modified flathead V8 pump for clearance. A thin modern plastic fan was used. No attempt was made to use the T ignition system.

The end result is a lot of work, and the car is worth less than it would be with a Model T engine. Dad did it because it was a paying job, and it was an interesting one. A royal pain in the rear, with results you can get a lot more easily by doing some simple mods to a T engine. The car is still around Dallas some where.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:14 pm:

Here are two pictures taken of a T with A engine, but with the T transmission on a FL tour.

Owner did the work, and told me the main issue was getting correct amount of oil to the T tranny. That along with not using the A waterpump because it would pierce the T radiator in stock location.

Sure ran fast....only tip off when being passed by this T was the sound and the obvious look of the Model A muffler and tail pipe hanging down under the T chassis :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:24 pm:

This is a neat thing, making a t engine perform well isnt hard, but make it live long can get expensive. These people found an ingenius solution, as there has always seemed to be more decent running take out engines available from hot rodded model a cars, I like that texas t parts water pump. there really where similarities between these engines. It is still alot of work though!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:32 pm:

Making a T engine perform AND live is not all that tough. Pressure oil is the key in my experience. I am playing with a drilled stock T crank at the moment. I will see how it stands up (with Roof overhead etc).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:33 pm:

I have kicked around the idea of putting a T transmission behind a V8-60 engine in a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:45 pm:

A tiny v8 model t would be fun, and prob run nice and smooth as well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 06:47 pm:

in the 1920s John Gerber mounted a chev 4 to a T trans without too many problems it would seem. The T trans was better for dirt track racing. Gerber's car was very successful with this combo. His book 'Outlaw Sprint Car Racer is a must read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 11:45 pm:

Seems like some time ago, I saw an ad and picture for a nice looking '30 or '31 "A" sedan with a flathead V8-60 in it awhile back and it seems like in was somewhere around Spokane,....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 01:47 am:

The big thing around here in the 60's when I was getting into the OAAC and the MOTA clubs and just a kid,,, was T's that were called BAT's. Everyone told me how fast they were!
No, I never saw one stopped or up close and I always wondered how they did it???
That was a B engine with an A (or B I suppose)transmission, and either an A rear or a T???? I don't know. It is just in reading this thread of you all's I remember something about it. In all of my years at shows I never saw one (under the hood or under the frame). I have seen and personally Know of a few V-8 60's in A's around here in S. W. Mo. The (30's models).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 02:41 pm:

These were posted on this forum about a decade ago. I don't recall who posted them.

engine1

engine2

engine3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 03:13 pm:

Putting a T transmission between an A engine and an A transmission makes little sense to me.
I consider the T transmission a unit that can cause a lot of grief.
I would just use the A engine and trans.
If it has a distributor through the head, a V8 water pump, a V belt, an alternator, and no mag & coils it aint a T anyway.
I would go for an A engine with a five speed gearbox, then you'd have pulling power and an overdrive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:03 pm:

I think thats a kc warford behind the t trans in the pics above, I agree, just remember seeing it, the pics above are actually the ones I saw. Even though these changes dont usually make sense to the people looking in, I do believe it shows how creative the people in this hobby truly are. Many here a so very talented and creative in restoring and engineering!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:08 pm:

Why not go the other way and install a Model T engine in a Model A? Makes the same amount of sense. Destroy the value of the engine and the car simultaneously.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration