Ebay Madness - Is this cast in gold or am I missing something?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ebay Madness - Is this cast in gold or am I missing something?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 03:58 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131096818494?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m142 3.l2649

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 04:06 pm:

Wonder if it actually sold or is it a ploy for when he re-lists it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 04:24 pm:

Glad I stopped watching it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 07:27 pm:

They are being reproduced by somebody as well. I passed on an original for 300 at Bakersfield one year. Should have bought it in hindsight!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:28 pm:

don summer is founder of american arrow corp. he makes mascots for all the classic era big dollar cars like packards, dussies, and pierce arrows, etc. other special parts too like door handles, driving lights, wire wheels(18k for six!). all mascots are wax sculpted by don, then cast in stainless, and flash chromed. its all very beautiful work, and also as you might expect very costly. but, if you have million dollar cars, thats the place to shop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:34 pm:

My brother had bought one of their mascots for his Buick a couple of years ago. A truly gorgeous piece of work to be sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:40 pm:

forgot to mention, that head is UGLY! i don't care who made it, or whose likeness it is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 09:06 pm:

I prefer this likeness better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 10:19 pm:

i too like that much more!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 10:24 pm:

I have to agree about the HF bust being ugly. I too would much rather have the Frankenstein but over the HF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 03:26 pm:

Why does it say sold?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 03:29 pm:

Obviously someone has more money than they know what to do with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:27 pm:

Maybe because it sold, don't u think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:33 pm:

Clayton, you may have the process used by Don Summer a little off beam. We have a fellow in Australia who also does beautiful reproductions in bronze and stainless steel. His process is lost wax casting. As I understand it, an original part is used to make a mould. Then wax is used to make a copy in that mould. This process makes the most accurate copy of the original.

That wax copy is then used in the casting process. Heat is used to melt the wax into the casting medium, and the metal is cast into the void. This makes for a most accurate copy.

Because the process destroys the wax copy, multiple copies mean that the whole process must be gone through each time. A set of 4 of his beautiful Hayes wire wheel hubcaps costs $480. That's $120 each time he goes through the process.

I hope I have it right.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

allan you are correct, they call it lost wax casting. i have been to the place and seen many of his parts. all are so nice you dont dare touch! i know don is the artist on many things doing a sculpture by hand to make the casting of perhaps parts that do not exist for a pattern. at one time i thought i should be a big shot classic car guy and bought a basket case 30 packard duel cowel phaeton. i soon realized i was playing a game i should not be in. all parts are expensive and hard to get. sadly the car was lost in a fire and i now stick to a's and t's as its sure alot easier and just as fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:38 pm:

Some years back I posed for a local art student who wanted to make a radiator cap likeness of me. She touched it up some to make it better looking, but even so, I still didn't like it, so she took it with her and I hadn't seen it since.

I wonder how Ed got ahold of it?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration