1915 Side Curtains

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1915 Side Curtains
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 04:58 pm:

I was wondering if the bracket that is screwed to the door in this picture is correct for 1915? This is a picture of a 1915 from a thread in 2008. My 15 touring has the same brackets screwed to the doors. Any thoughts on this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:02 pm:

Sorry forgot to upload the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:18 pm:

The rod and bracket are an aftermarket accessory. Not factory correct but period correct.

As I indicated in your other thread, 1915 factory side curtains do not attach to the doors.

They attach to the inside of the top, top bows and the armrests via murphy fasteners and around the sidelamp brackets via straps. (I forgot to mention another upper strap that goes around the top-to-windshield strap.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:37 pm:

That's a picture of my car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:38 pm:

The bracket is 1926 - 27, so is the rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:45 pm:

Aha, thanks for posting that picture! I have one of those upside-down T-shaped brackets on the door of my 1923 touring / pickup conversion, I always wondered what it was for!

Now I'll have to scare up the rod that fits into it and rig up some velcro or something so that the side curtain will open with the door.

Until I can do that, I suppose I should remove the bracket, since it is not correct for a pre-1926 car.

I like that neat little cast door handle extension, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:47 pm:

Erik, Thanks for the info. Also Royce, the bracket cannot be 1926 or 1927 as 26-27 open cars have holes in the doors for the side curtain rods. So, they must be an accessory. It just threw me off when I saw another 1915 with the exact same brackets. Im just curious, when the curtains are on the car, if the doors dont have rods then how do you get in and out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 06:02 pm:

Unless I'm confused:

I'm pretty sure the side curtain rods for 1926-27 are inserted into holes on top of the doors, not into a bracket screwed on the inside of the door. Also, I do not believe the rods are tapered at the bottom.

I believe the bracket and rod set up on your car is aftermarket for earlier cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 06:13 pm:

Alex:

You get in and out of the car similar to getting in and out of a tent. You unbutton the murphy fasteners on the arm rest and on the top bow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 06:43 pm:

Well as always I learned something new today about my own car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 07:06 pm:

If it's period aftermarket, it sounds like I don't have to remove mine after all, I just need to find or fabricate the rod and come up with a way to attach it to my side curtain.

Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:06 pm:

Thanks again, looks like im taking the brackets off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:57 pm:

Alex -- I'd like to have one of those brackets, if you're in a selling mood.

waterwalk999@gmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 12:43 am:

Thanks Royce for admitting your mistake. I do it all the time! BTW, I've been into T's for over a half century, and I'm still learning. That is what makes it so fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 01:27 am:

I started to say the same thing about the 26-7's curtain rod but saw it was Royce's car and thought NO don't go there!
But he came round with a smoothie! See we are ALL just people (human), Royce, and loosing it with age I think! ??? I used those in the 60's when I had my side curtains made on my 25. They REALLY help getting in and out of the car. I had to make my own rods. They were hard to find too! Then!
Joe in Mo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 01:37 am:

The rods for the 25 and earlier that fit into the holder are different than the 26/27. They have to have a lot more off set because they are inside the door while the 26/27 being on top the door are straighter. I have both types around the shop somewhere if I can find them I will post some pictures.

picture

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration