At the seminar

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: At the seminar
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 12:37 am:

As usual, the Mid-winter Model T Seminar in Hutchinson today was informative. I always learn something from these events.

Chris Paulsen showed how to do nickel plating.

With help from Mike Vaughn (L), Bud Redding (R) showed front axle repair.

Bud enlisted help from the audience.

Members of all three Kansas clubs attended. Here's East Central Kansas T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 01:12 am:

Thanks for the pictures Steve. Did you take any notes? Can you share them with us?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 01:13 am:

In this last photo can anyone on the Forum id Steve Jelf?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 01:32 am:

That's too easy as he's a very photogenic guy--back left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:51 am:

Looks like you had lots of fun! Thanks for posting. And yes, if you took notes ....

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 10:57 am:

I took only metal notes. There was too much to tell it all here, but I'll reveal a couple of things.

Chris said the set-up for nickel plating costs around a hundred bucks. If you're doing only a few parts from one car, probably cheaper to have a shop do it. But if you're doing more than a few, it will save you money and let you keep control of what's done. When you send parts to a shop you often don't know what you're going to get back. Having big pieces done commercially while doing your own small items can reduce costs. The sample pieces he showed looked very nice. I even won a newly nickeled radiator cap as a door prize.

The third pictures shows a tool for checking whether an axle is straight or not. It's made from a piece of I-beam or channel. Straight rods are centered through the perch and spindle holes. If all the rods lie on the straight edges, the axle is straight. If not, you have to bend it straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 11:19 am:

WHO is the old white haired bearded fellow in the red Hat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 11:38 am:

Glad you put that on there about the beard and the red hat otherwise it could be just about any one of the "old white haired fellows."

This guy must have been more interesting than I was, there were 8 guys that slept through my carburetor presentation a couple years ago.

In the second to last photo that is John Steele - Manhattan, Montana - standing up rubbing his chin in the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Vocasek on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 12:24 pm:

Great seminar Thanks to everyone that worked to offer the day from your friends to the north in Nebraska!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 12:27 pm:

John - That man is shown in Steve's third picture and is identified as "Bud Redding" who gave the front axle presentation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 12:49 pm:

I see an interesting idea in the background of the 4th picture. Looks like a set up for draining out the oil from your qt. bottles after an oil change. It's amazing how much oil will drip out overnight and stay out of the trash cycle. I bet there was a place to drain the filters also.

Thanks for posting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:35 pm:

Gene - My Dad used to do the same thing, but not with such an elaborate "set-up"! He used to claim that he kept a couple squirt-type oil cans for his workbenches full with oil that most people throw away with their empty (but not quite) oil cans that they dispose of after changing his oil in there cars. Back in those days, I remember that he used straight 30W oil except in winter, so his "system" worked just that much better with the thicker oil!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:37 pm:

Gene - My Dad used to do the same thing, but not with such an elaborate "set-up"! He used to claim that he kept a couple squirt-type oil cans for his workbenches full with oil that most people throw away with their empty (but not quite) oil cans that they dispose of after changing his oil in there cars. Back in those days, I remember that he used straight 30W oil except in winter, so his "system" worked just that much better with the thicker oil!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:38 pm:

Oops,.....did it again,......dang!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Brewer - NorCal on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:18 pm:

Other than my name and the fact that I did buy one of these a few years ago, I have no connection with the following company:

http://www.bob2000.com/

(They make a gizmo to drain your oil bottles).

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:01 pm:

Steve, I think the rest would probably back me up on this. I'm about 99% certain that car in the first photo isn't a Model T. I could be wrong, but...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:40 pm:

I know Bud well, I figured he'd read that and call me again, he calls quite often checking up on me since I've been uder the weather

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration