Old Photo - Coupelet In 1950's Traffic

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Coupelet In 1950's Traffic
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 11:12 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 11:15 am:

That is a picture Phil Berg posted of his parents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 12:14 pm:

Very good picture. That's what it looks like when I go on a tour with our local car club.

Must be a '16.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 01:16 pm:

I'm that old Royce, LOL

Picture was taken in summer of 1954 in downtown Omaha Nebraska, my mother is on the left with my grandfather driving. He purchased the car December 31st 1953.

Car as it is today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 11:04 pm:

Looks like you broke it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:10 am:

Mike,
How's your coupelet progressing? Did you get your wood yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 08:34 am:

I note the double wichbone iron, and new spring leaves.
And ensuring park lights mounted inward turning,
who came on Coupelet 1917 at 1918 model year.
Very nice picture Jay.

Ake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 09:56 am:

Mike B. -- I'm still waiting for the body wood. I talked with Jon on the phone about a month ago, and he said he'd gotten everything else out of the way and was ready to (again) start working on my wood. He said it should take about 2 weeks to finish it. That's the last I've heard. Maybe it'll be done in time for a Chickasha delivery. That'll be 3 years from the time he picked up the sheet metal body parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:42 am:

What happened to it since 1954....? Looks like it had a rough life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:33 pm:

Here a synopsis of the car John.

My grandfather purchased the car in Dec of 1953 from a gentlemen who lived in Stuart Nebraska.

Grandfather drove car as purchased until mid 60's when on a HCCA tour the original engine started knocking. Replacement engine found and installed lightly driven for a couple more years when that engine had issues.

Car was stored in a garage in Omaha for storage (don't now exact location). From late sixties to 1988 when it was removed from storage because the city of Omaha had condemned the garage and it was to be torn down.

Unfortunately the garage was in poor condition and leaked water on the car for almost twenty years. As you can see from my last picture most of the paint is gone. Amazingly the body is in good condition (except for the paint) along with the structural wood.

My goal is to clean, fix and preserve the car as I received it. It will never be a concourse winner. As of today I've completely rebuilt the front and rear suspension, differential, driveshaft. Replaced as many non-year correct parts that were on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 01:53 pm:

There are many who will applaud the honestly acquired "patina". (Sorry for over-using the word.) What ever you do with it some will love it and some will see another way. Do what works for you. I have already enjoyed that picture.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:11 pm:

What a shame. At least its in good hands now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:05 pm:

I feel like rust is something a car has to earn and should wear with pride. Get it mechanically sound and it will be perfect....and as unique as its story made it. I bought an old tractor that had straight tin but all the paint was gone. I covered it in a thin layer of lindseed oil which absorbed into the surface and darkened it to the color of chocolate. Its a work of art.

And looking at your picture....look at all the color that is added to your car once the rust frees it from all that black. Perfect!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:10 pm:

You are correct Richard (Eagle Fls), some will hate what I've done to this car. Others will hopefully appreciate that I am trying to preserve it for future generations as untouched as possible.

It's not 100% original but I'm striving to find year correct pieces. I've even decided not to replace the door panels when the interior is done because I feel they are in too good of shape to replace. The top and the rest of the interior is not in that good of condition. I'm having the fenders, aprons, running boards welded as we speak so I can still use them. They only have minor stress cracks.

This board has had an influence on me to keep it as it rolled off the line. With that I thank all of you.

In the future I'm moving the car to my garage for final assembly (fenders, engine) and then it goes for the interior and top work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 06:26 pm:

Philip,
Thank you for your response and explanation of the *life* of the car. I probably should have known better than to ask that question because I have several cars that have seen the ravages of time, weather, varmints, and just....time. Unless a car is maintained daily, in a controlled environment or hermetically sealed...it will surely deteriorate. Leaky buildings, rats/mice, weather extremes...all contribute to the damage.
My daily job is trying to preserve/restore what the environment has acted upon.
Thanks again and I wish you well on your venture.
John

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration