I can't find this part in the book...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: I can't find this part in the book...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 01:16 pm:

...and neither can you.

I've been taking rear axles off my trailer and opening them up to see what's inside. This one made me think of that old picture the other day showing the T with the collapsed rear end. At first I thought the tube had been welded, but what looked like a weld was just dirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 01:22 pm:

I remember those from when I was a kid. It was to keep the rear end from sagging. Women had a name for it a girdle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 01:36 pm:

Nice accessory rear axle support. I have one on my speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 01:56 pm:

I have one that was on a 14 rear end.It is a very long carriage bolt. I am planning on putting it back on there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 02:11 pm:

I have had some of them. I have one on my 12. A lot of times they had a little square piece right under the center of the rod. Also sometimes they came in pairs, again with the little square piece under both rods. I believe that all the support rods that I have seen had a round clamp on the ends of the axle housing rather than go through the backing plate.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 02:12 pm:

These pieces fell out. Gee, I wonder what they could be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:38 pm:

Steve
Something I haven't seen in the parts books is the front fender support brace ( goes across the fenders). I have one that has been on the shelf since 1987, mite use it some day.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:33 pm:

Steve,
You are looking in the wrong book. The axle truss rod was a common accessory and is in many books.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:34 pm:

Yer in trouble Steve. Looks like a failed muffler bearing!

(yeah, I know what it really is)

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:34 pm:

that looks like a minnesota muffler. in spring they are one of the first to bloom. mostly all along the road ditches. ahhh, those first signs of spring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:57 pm:

Steve,

In addition to Jimís accessory section price list, you could also order that from the Ford dealer as an original Ford part. It was available a part number 63 out of the Model N, and later Model NRS and finally Model NRS & SR Price List of Parts catalogs. While not originally supplied by Ford on the Model Tís I have often wondered if they would have helped with the pressed steel early rear axle housing or not.

Thanks for all your great postings Ė lots of good ideas and discussions.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 08:19 pm:

so if a person wanted to make one and put it on a later rear end... say a 20 or so, how would one do that?

Use 1/2" rod, cut to length, bend it in the middle, thread both ends, bore two holes and install with nuts and washers? how tight should the nuts be tightened down?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 08:22 pm:

I'm always learning things on the forum. This truss rod appears home made. Unfortunately the ends were so boogered up that trying to remove the nuts broke it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 08:24 pm:

They should have proper collars at the end, fastened to the axle tube. See earlier post.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/129976.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 10:17 pm:

I have one on my '13 runabout. It was probably installed way back. I'm probably going to leave it on, since NO HOLES were drilled to install it. It uses the rivets to locate a special collar on each side, so NO modifications were required for this installation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 11:19 pm:

thanks for the info! has anyone made the castings needed on each end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 11:31 pm:

could you do something like the two ends of this one? http://www.rocky-road.com/kicktruss.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 07:51 am:

I think Bob Scherzer was working on the castings once upon a time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 08:43 am:

What exactly does this particular accessory accomplish other than making it a pain in the neck to jack up the rear end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:10 am:

Larry:

Does yours have the small cast piece for the rod to sit in that straddles the axle housings ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:12 am:

Seth, you jack it up from the center! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:20 am:

The one on my car is apparently like the Acme pictured above. It's kinda neat, although I wonder how much good it ever did. I don't have one on my touring, and I've driven it over 50,000 miles, and it's ok without one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:27 am:

Keith jacking it up by the pumpkin is a cardinal sin! Lol, seriously though there was a whole thread where Steve Jelf made a tool just to avoid pumpkin-jacking. You'd have to have another rod on top of the pumpkin if you wanted to be able to jack it that way.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/413749.html?1389395375

I'm just joking to some degree about the point, I get that the idea is to help add some strength to the rear end housing and axles. Just seems to me like you should probably avoid doing anything rough enough to require this and for speedster it's just added weight. JMHO though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:59 am:

Here's the axle truss on our 15 Pickup from a 2010 accessory of the day post.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/129976.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:12 pm:

Sure would like to find an orphaned center piece to complete the truss rod assembly for our '14 Touring - it has the "collars" that clamp around the end housing rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:37 pm:

Model Ts may not have used truss rods, but lots of other cars of the era did. My 1912 Buick has one as factory equipment.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration