NATIONAL AUSTRALIA DAY

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: NATIONAL AUSTRALIA DAY
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 03:03 pm:

Remember all you ORSTRAYANS to turn the community B-B-Q gas of as there is other that also want to use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:56 pm:

Very nice.

Do I mention that I have eaten both sides of the Australian coat of arms?

Here is the Aussie coat of arms for the US readers.

Cheers, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

Paul:
we used to be able to buy Australian beef here in the U.S. ...when i was a kid it was 9 cents a pound in 50 lb. frozen blocks (ground meat) ...i think it looked like the critter on the left when it was on the hoof ...regards gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 08:41 pm:

There are/is a restaurant in Oakland that serves kangaroo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:13 am:

Aaron - And I've heard that most kangaroos demand good service too, but they don't "tip" very well!

(.....sorry,......couldn't resist,........)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 06:00 am:

Don't forget the koala bears!

Or the wombats!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:21 pm:

I thought this was Austrailia's coat of arms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:26 am:

AUSTRALIA DAY --and a chance to slow down and smell the smoke of years gone by.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/SdtLy8CaEew?rel=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:45 am:

Great video Bob!

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:23 am:

AN AUSTRALIA DAY POEM
HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY 26 JAN 2014

Australians are a funny lot, you'll often hear one curse,
How things have started badly, and they'll probably get worse,
The weathers dry, the sun's so hot it's stolen all the water,
The Government has never done the things we think they oughta'.

But if we hear a tourist say his home is much more grand,
They had better be prepared to make a very solid stand.
For although we Aussies may complain at what's become our lot,
When someone knocks this country, we defend with all we've got.

We may criticize some teenage brat, may even wish them failure,
But we stand behind them cheering when they're playing for Australia.
Because, if this is home to you, the country of your birth,
Then you back the native player to beat anyone on Earth.

When the cricket bats are swinging or when someone scores a try,
When a home grown horse has won the cup and made the owner cry,
When some Paralympics athlete hits the front and sets the pace,
You'll hear "Aussie Aussie Aussie" as the crowd goes off their face.

And although we like to take a break in overseas locations,
If you take the time to question this nomadic population,
They will tell you without blinking that wherever they may roam,
The best part of the journey was the last bit, ....coming home.

For the sun was never brighter on the beach at Waikiki,
Than it is on all the sandy shores Australia has to see,
The water never purer nor the air as fresh and clear,
The people never friendlier than those that we have here.

If you venture to the outback where grass is scarce as snow,
As you swelter you may wonder what it was that made you go,
But just look at the locals who have lived there since their birth,
And I know you will not find a better class of folk on earth.

All across this wide brown country from the Cape to Hobart town,
There are people who will help you when you find the chips are down,
And if someone should abuse you, and does it just because,
Then that person's not Australian, and that person never was.

So when you feel disgruntled just remember this rendition,
And never blame the country for the acts of politicians,
Look up and count your blessings when you see our flag unfurled,
And be grateful that you live in the best country in the world.
Author unknown

HAPPY AUSTRALIAN DAY MATE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:21 am:

Hey Paul, I like the coat of arms and have not eaten any of them but do you know why those animals were chosen for our shield over the rest.
Hey David, I saw a small Wombat walking on the side of the back road near here around 4am today and coming back some prick had run him down as you could see were the car had swerved across the road to hit him, I would love to catch a guy doing that and burn his car to the ground... Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:52 am:

WOW! What a neat little steam engine! Great video Paul. Thanks for sharing. And, anyone tell you that you could pass for a young Ronald Regan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

Ray,

Yes, the kangaroo and emu were chosen for the coat of arms as neither can walk backwards, the can only go forwards. This, for the Roo at least, I can verify. Many a Roo has met its end by standing near the rail as I go past in my train, their only line of escape is across my path.......bang, ex-roo!

Cheers, Paul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

G'day Ray,

Can't start a fire mate, total fire ban at the moment.

peter

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration