OT - A note to the people who think winter is so wonderful.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - A note to the people who think winter is so wonderful.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 03:21 pm:

I went out to make sure the lights were turned off in the shop and to daydream about driving the Model T. As I was walking into the house I dropped the shop keys in the snow and they immediately disappeared. Normally something falling into the snow leaves a hole on the surface and it's usually possible to reach in and grab what you've dropped. But not today! Not when it's 5 degrees Fahrenheit and winds are sustained at 30 mph with gusts over 45 mph. That's when the keys grow a mind of their own and are able to crawl under the snow and disappear for ever. Now to get an understanding of where I was, I have to describe my situation. I live on the South end of a 320 acre field. Today the wind is out of the Northwest and there are no trees between my house and the field. I was out in the middle of the wind and all the fresh snow from last night and the five degree fahrenheit temp digging around in the snow for my keys. And all I could think of was how my Sister in Law told me she loves Winter with the bright sun and the fresh, clean snow. This has to be the worst Winter we've had since the early 80's. Tomorrow they're saying the weather's going to get bad. They don't expect it to go above -10 degrees and this wind is supposed to stick around throughout the day. It kind of makes ya think Al Gore might not be right. So how are things in your neck of the woods?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 03:43 pm:

63 deg. F here now and looking for a high today of 70 deg. F. Of course, we could sure use some rain at this point.

Being born and rained in California, first living in San Jose and now Modesto, I've never dealt with winter as you live it. The most severe winter I ever experienced was in 1969 Groton, CT when I was in submarine school. Compared to what I was accustomed to it seemed dramatic, but it was mild when compared to what you have right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 03:44 pm:

Make that "born and raised". We aren't getting any rain... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 03:45 pm:

90 miles south of the tip of lower Michigan. My outdoor boiler is eating logs like they grow on trees. Heating the house, hot water, and 32x48x12 shop. Had to fire up "Otis" the 1961 Gafner Iron Mule, and move some logs closer to the boiler yesterday. 3 cylinder Perkins diesel, been setting for more than a month. Low of -33 last week. Cranked one revolution and was running, at -4 degrees. Each summer I think I am going to have the wood all put under the shed roof for winter. :-)Plowed snow twice today, and twice yesterday. Looks like the snow may have let up for a few minutes. Supposed to be in the single digits all next week. Been downhill skiing every weekend since Christmas. In two weeks I am headed to the tip of the Keewenau Peninsula, in the U.P. of Michigan, to ski at Mt. Bohemia. There are worse things than winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:03 pm:

Mike and Ed (and anyone else with snow up to their crotch and below zero temps):

Be careful out there guys. I used to live in snow country and this weather can kill people.

Stay safe and warm - no good replacement yet for fingers and toes.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:11 pm:

Ed, your brain is froze up. I use to love to ski downhill. But since my accident I've been afraid I'd get twisted up and really end up with a problem. I have to admit, skiing was one of the few things to do outdoors in January that I've enjoyed. When I was young it was skiing, snowmobiles and ice fishing. Oh and of course I loved skating and hockey but I'm afraid Winter isn't for old men. I grew up in a house where we burned wood for years. We had 120 acres of hardwood and heat was one of the few things we could afford. There are a lot of people around here that have those boilers. They've become popular. My brother had one several years ago but it must have been poorly built because he was able to burn out the heat box in it pretty quick. He went back to his basement woodstove and has been happy ever since. I've had about every kind of heat in different places I've owned and though it's expensive I'll take a gas or fuel oil forced air furnace over anything else. I've to darn old to have to work so hard to be comfortable. The one system we had a few years ago that was pretty good was a closed system geo-thermal setup that used six wells to circulate fluid (antifreeze) through and pre-heat to 55 degrees. Though it was expensive to put in, the govt gave some pretty good kickbacks and made it well worth it. Keep your saw sharp and enjoy your skiing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:14 pm:

If on February 2nd ole Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, he had better have a body guard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:20 pm:

I hope Phil freezes his whatits off. I usually go over to the neighbors house for coffee every day. He lives on the other side of the next row of houses and it's a pretty short trip. I think I'll call in today and drink a hot cup of coffee instead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:24 pm:

Kike
I hope that you have more than one key to the shop.
I was born and raised in califunny have lived in Alaska, Colorado and now Washington state. Cold and blowing snow I no fun. I need to move more south say southern Arizona maybe. Colder and older don't mix very well. Stay warm and safe my friends.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:39 pm:

Well we have70++ and rain my next thursday maybe. Had 6 inches of snow on DEC 7th and not a drop of rain before or since.
My coldest was the winder of 56 in Germany -35 and the was the coldest they had had in 90 years. Next coldest was in Grandview, Mo in '87 and it was -15 burrrrrrrrr cold.
Today 70=='s, and balmy .
Have fun
bill d

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:41 pm:

Hey Bob, one place I've always enjoyed in January and February is anywhere south of Phoenix. My sister has lived down there for several years and her weather is as severe as ours, however their problem is the summer heat. I'm not to crazy about hot weather either. And when you add in the high humidity and mosquitoes it get's miserable too. I don't know if there is a perfect place to live. I guess you have to be like Ed. Overcome and adapt. There are a lot of Winter sports but they're for the young guys. I've heard Hawaii is a pretty good place but expensive. There's no way I'd live in California. Even if the weather was good there's a lot of strange people out there and I'm not much of a liberal soul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:43 pm:

Only 32 this AM. To put it in a little more prospective, we are having forest fires in Jan and a lot of the state of Oregon suffering from lack of rain and snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:50 pm:

You guys sure don't want to hear from us in Australia then! :-)

Cheers, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:56 pm:

Bill you're killing me. We hit that -35 at least once or twice a winter here but we seldom have this much wind. The Winters in the early 80's were the worst I can remember though as a kid in the 50's there were times at the end of the driveway waiting for the school bus when anything would have been better. I remember going out to do chores on New Years Day of 1983. We had one of those killer blizzards and the temp was around -20. We went out to feed the calves and the wind was blowing the feed bunks in faster than we could shovel them out and drop the silage in. Instead of doing morning and evening chores we did them once. An hour and a half job lasted 8 hours. I use to feel sorry for those animals out there, but a lot of those calves would turn their backs to the wind and stand out there all day long. We were always afraid they'd bunch up in the sheds and kill the young ones. Every storm we'd lose a couple. They were angus and it always hurt to lose them. That long black hair on them made them look like something you'd see in the far North arctic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 04:58 pm:

Courage, men. Only 53 days til spring (and Chickasha).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:02 pm:

Hi Mark, I've heard you guys are dryer than a popcorn fart out there. My Uncle lives east of Hebo in an area that's got a lot of timber. I hope he's ok.

Paul, you guys can get some crazy weather in parts of Australia too. Be sure to let you koalabee mate. Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Scott Owens on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:07 pm:

Cold, Cold, Cold? I went to Turlock yesterday. Looked like the most vendors in 15 years. Lots of early rust showed up and the buyers were hauling out wagon after wagon of parts. I found some of what I wanted and got a few leads on other parts. Cold? I did wear my levi jacket in the morning but it was off by 11:30. And I did stay in the warm truck till the line getting in got short. If you dont like the snow send it out here. We love the stuff, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

-5F in S0-Sask today with the tailend of a prairie howler blowing thru. I'm sure my longjohns were initially inside my pants when I got called out to work today ... gonna have to ducttape my pant legss to keep them in place! It's one of those days that if yer hat blows off, it'll be past the correction line in about 3 minutes !!

Loosing anything in snow isn't fun, but maybe the youngsters have a good idea on those long tethers you usually see on their keyrings. I always thought it was due to lazyness and not wanting to have to reach all the way in the pocket to get them, but the tether would be a good idea when you do accidentally drop them in deep snow. I once lost a set of work keys that went flying out of my hands when I flicked my wrist. They landed somewhere in deep grass but I didn't see where they went. I walked around a bit but couldn't see them so I drove home and got my copper witching rods and went back. It only took a few passes before the rods crossed and I found the keys right there.

In the summer of 1980 I was tasked with the job of finding an underground cable that had to be daylighted. The senior, and more learned, partner I was with told me where to dig but the cable wasn't there. I cut some fence wire and shaped them and started walking. Again, I dug around where the rods crossed and there was the cable.

I dunno how it works - I just know that it does work.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlesHebert on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:16 pm:

67 here today in East Texas but forecast for 21 this coming Tuesday with the wind and snow. Two snow storms in one week. It usually snows once every three years in these parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:31 pm:

Tex, around here, 6 more weeks of winter on Feb. 2 IS an early spring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:33 pm:

Mike, I know what you mean. We left MN in early Jan. after 16 straight days below zero and headed to Prescott, AZ. At least it is in the 60's with blue sky and no snow. Love MN.,but this winter was really bad. This might be the beginning of an annual snowbird flight. Stay warm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:40 pm:

Garnet, around here we have guys who use the bent wire. I've never tried it but I've had some good luck with a forked willow branch. The first time I did it I didn't believe in it. My Dad had witched several wells and swore by it but we did a little test one day and out of 5 spots he hit the same place I did. It's some neat stuff. I lived south of Chickasha for a few months in the early 70's. One night we got a "snowstorm". Actually it was more like a rain/snow storm. They closed everything down. No school, no bingo, don't go out unless it's an emergency and so on. I thought it was a little crazy but then I saw what they call a snowplow down there and I started to understand. A pickup with a 2X6 board strapped to the front of it is not a snowplow. As he was pushing the "snow" he was also pushing a wave ahead of him. I swear, people were driving off the road, into the ditch because of some strange obligation to some cult and I laughed when I watched a guy with a Chevrolet Biscayne that had put on four, yes four brand new snow tires. He started out spinning at the bottom of a hill and stayed on it as far as he could until the poor darn car slid back down to the bottom Then he'd rev it up and away he'd go. Those back tires had to be half gone by the time he was done. It took a week for the smoke to blow away.
(The facts in the previous story may have been exaggerated and the truth enhanced a little).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:19 pm:

We spent the day outdoors punching 5/16" diameter holes in a piece of paper 300 feet away with cylindrical pieces of soft but fairly dense metal. Temperature was in the mid 50's. I'll take that over 100+ degree August days ANY time.

If it makes you feel any better, they are forecasting snow for Tuesday night. I'll believe it when I see it. While we may get flurries, we don't get any accumulation except maybe every 10 years or so. Last one was 2008, so we aren't really due.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:33 pm:

Sounds like fun Hal. I went to a gun show yesterday but all I found was an extra clip for my Colt Officers. People at the gun show were a little jumpy yesterday and very concerned about our current administration and some gun control issues. Ammunition, especially .22 caliber rounds availability are still an issue here in my neck of the woods. I'm currently sitting on about a thousand rounds I haven't shot for a few months and I'm ready for some range time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:36 pm:

I just gave up complaining about it and went snowmobiling instead. Tonight I'll throw more wood into the furnace and enjoy the snow squalls blowing across the lake. Tomorrow I will go downstairs and continue working on the Ruckstell axle I am assembling in the spare bedroom downstairs, because my garage may not be habitable until May at this rate. Sometimes you just have to improvise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:01 pm:

Been there with the spare bedroom! Only it was mocking up a touring body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:08 pm:

I gather that Canadians are pretty used to the cold weather....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x768VAsOQSw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:25 pm:

RV - your right, 6 weeks from February 2nd would be an early spring! Just finished bringing in wood for the boiler. I chunked, split and stacked 20 tons for the heating season this year and figure I'll use most all of it by early April. I envy you guys with the outdoor boilers as mine is in the basement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:34 pm:

I don't think it's wonderful! Too cold, too much wind, too much snow. On third tank of diesel fuel in my Cub/Yanmar S.C. tractor. Most since I got it 4 years ago. Actually warm right now, 31 degrees, but come tomorrow back to sub zero for the next 72 hours or so. Tex, I retired a while back from the same career you're in. Always something new happening there. Fun, but don't miss it!

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:39 pm:

We started heating with corn in 2006 and the only wood i burn is for a campfire!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:45 pm:

Mike- before you disregard all science based on you dropping your keys- there is a difference between climate and weather. I agree, this is a cold winter but last summer was very, very hot and dry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:49 pm:

Bud, we heat with corn down here too, more in a liquid form than grain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 08:24 pm:

Tex, I had one in the house, enjoyed the warm floors, but when that wind kicks up it sure sucks loading it outside then!I have been going through a pick up load a week, good thing I like cutting wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 08:30 pm:

To hell with this. If it weren't for my family being here I'd be in San Diego. Or Hawaii.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:28 pm:

Today was warmest it's been in days.
And it was cold.
Tired of cold weather.
I hope Algore freezes things off that cause him to have a hi pitched voice.
Witching rods,use them myself.
Actually used them on my job alot before I drove sign post.
The other crew in my county hit a fiber optic cable and the boss decided to buy some detectors for our trucks.Complicated things,costing thousands.
1 of the crews used it,and drove up a stop sign post and put it up and left.
Next rain storm we had the main office got a call that the stop sign at the anson tech school was on fire.
Yep,that detector didnt tell them boy about a 440 line running underground.They drove the post thru 1 leg of it and the rain shorted it out.
So the detectors got sent back and we all got nice shiny copper wires!
Far as I know all I ever hit was a plastic gas line that served a gas lamp at a intersection.Made a big fuss, firetrucks and bossmen everywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:40 pm:

Hey guys - Poor Mike dropped his keys in the snow and all you can do is complain about cold weather or tell him how warm it is where you live. :-(

Can't anyone give him some suggestions about how to find his keys and stop the problem from occurring again?

Mike I apologize for the insensitivity and lack of political correctness of some of the folks on the forum. :-)
I guarantee that they will be in the last place you look - if you are willing to look!

I can suggest four ways to help you find the keys;
1. Attach a T magneto magnet to a string and drag it thru the snow in the area you dropped the keys
You might find a bunch of other stuff you have been looking for.
2. Wait until spring when the snow melts
3. Run a snow blower thru the area you dropped them - When you hear the clunk watch carefully where they go.
4. Tell your wife that you dropped them and you can't take her shopping until you do.

A couple recommendations that will prevent the problem from happening again.
1. Tie a long red ribbon on the keys and attach the other end to your belt
2. Stop locking the door - only the most foolhardy person would be outside in that weather.
3. Take the advise of the thin blood guys and move to a warmer climate.

I hope this helps
If you try #4 I hope you survive :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Blake Haugen in Troy,MT. on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:50 pm:

This is the mildest winter(so far)in the 24 years I've lived in northwest Montana. No snow here at the house. Yesterday it was about 35 deg.with a little sun when I drove my 26 RP to town for parts for my Silverado. If this is global warming,I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 10:09 pm:

Fred, a magnet won't pick up most keys I've seen.

Any flatlander who makes fun of Calif. deserves to freeze their butt.

Weather is not climate. I'm almost sorry I won't be around for the mass awakening that the scientists are right. I thought NW Oregon would be a good place of last resort, but they're having forest fires in January. There won't be a place to hide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 11:11 pm:

Ralf - He can scratch #1 off the list, but he'll miss picking up all the miscellaneous stuff that has been lost for year.

BTW Climate is what you do to stairs or a mountain! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 11:58 pm:

Fred, no wife anymore, I must have lost her keys too many times. And to be honest I hope she's as cold as a witches t... Sorry guys, I forgot for a minute where I was. I live in Northern Minnesota and currently have no snowblower or any other way to move snow until I can get the skid loader running. No metal detector, I sold that when I sold the sawmill. I'd run to the hardware store to buy a magnet but the keys for the truck are... That's right lost in the $#^@&! snow. So that's it, I'm just going have to sit out here without my keys to get in the house and listen to the radio in the truck that doesn't work because I don't have any keys to play the radio with. I'd go in the shop but the darn doors locked. I guess I could use the garage door opener to get in the garage and find the spare house keys I've got hidden in there. But then I wouldn't have anything to complain about. And besides, I found a half pint of snow snake medicine under the seat of the truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:18 am:

The Veteran Car Club of South Australia had our annual Australia Day Breakfast Run. We have the opposite here at the moment; hot weather, 100F heat, fire ban areas, bush fire warnings. On our club run it was a hot day, starting at 8am and home by 11am before the temperature rose too far. Happy Australia Day everybody!

In Adelaide it is currently at 3.30pm 27/1/14 it is 38.6C or just over 101F is the old scale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:23 am:

David you're killing me here. It looks like a pretty good lineup of cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 04:35 am:

We live in a warm climate Mike. I am unable to understand how cold things really can be!!!! We struggle here when it rains and staying dry! I have to find a pair of shoes that are water proof.

I had to knock back a couple of ice cold beers of that helps!!!

Please post some pictures guys of your part of the world in a way I can only imagine or see on films.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 07:28 am:

We spend the first 5+ decades in New Hampshire and have had our share of cold and snow. We made the mistake of moving to Naples, Fl and after 2 years of hurricanes became "half backs" and moved to the South Carolina midlands. Now that we retired and moved to Ecuador we have no weather complaints. Temps here in Santa Isabel are pretty much a constant mid 60's at night and upper 70's to 80 days. They do not install heat nor a/c as there is never any need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 07:38 am:

Yup, Sure looks like the first signs of Cabin Fever starting to set in. Walls are starting to close in on my little neck of the woods also. No real good cure for this, Just need to wait it out. Spring is coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Scott on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 09:07 am:

Front and back doors to the shop drifted shut a balmy 12F which quickly dropped when I opened up the overhead door. Can't work on the T or the boat projects. The snow thrower breaks down every other use. Had to blow a path out into the backyard for the dogs. It has to be the fault of the meteorologists, can't possibly be anything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:32 am:

Here in Arkansas its the coldest winter I remember in years. The outside wood furnace is wanting fed twice a day. Normally it is once every day or some times every other day. Was 62 degrees yesterday, 20 degrees this morning and going to 2 degrees expected tonight (actual temp) and 30-40 mph wind. In Arkansas that's cold ....... Most of the state is also under a "burn ban" its been dry since the last snow and ice a few weeks back ... The only reason I like the winter is that is when I get lots of shop time, I heat the shop with wood and work in a t shirt .... Nobody wants me to work on there stuff because its to cold on them ... at there place. Come on Chickashea.... Im ready ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:23 am:

6 degrees. Just plowed another 8 inches of snow. Our half mile of driveway and the widow next door. My son's ski meet was cancelled today, roads are just too bad. Sun is shining brightly now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:36 am:

Mike,
How did you get into the house? I'm sure you are not out in the cold now and able to post on the forum, so please tell us if you ever found the keys and how you got inside?

Here is a picture of our house in Montrose, Ca. a suburb of Los Angeles January 12, 1949. That is the most snow I have experienced in my lifetime, except when we went to the mountains to see the snow.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:29 pm:

Only 52 days till spring!
I'm ready.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

By this time we would normally have had 17 inches of snow here in Indy.This year we have had ,so far,33+ inches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 06:19 pm:

They say Houston and New Orleans are in for some snow. Enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 08:38 pm:

School cancelled for tuesday as well. Too bad, I was looking forward to a middle school ski meet at Nub's Nob ski resort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 08:49 pm:

It's -3 on the way to -10 and hopefully it may be the end to the sub zero winter.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:49 pm:

Hows about a metal detector 2 find the keys. Never used one, but might be worth checking into. My $.02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:58 pm:

You guys who are up to your eyeballs in snow are lucky. It's mighty dry here, and worse in California. They usually have several feet of snow, but almost none this year. It's the worst drought in recorded history. If you think that doesn't affect you, wait until you see what it does to food prices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 01:41 am:

Let's help a buddy --

If we all mails a few snowballs to Steve it will help him and give us someplace to put the extra snow we are getting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 03:57 am:

Coming home tonight about 5.30 pm going South the sun was behind [i know better] tall clouds and there was a hole in the clouds further west with two short bars of a rainbow pink and yellow!Close to zero then is rainbow the right term? Some of Kansas is nice farmland but part of it the crows need to cary their lunch!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:38 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:00 am:

Dale that's cute!
We woke up to -12 here in N.Central Ohio, how'd you fare in PA?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:23 am:

Tim,same here. I like this part of the country but after 68 of these winters I'm beginning to think someplace warmer would be nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:38 am:

It is so cold feeling this morning.in the 20's but feels terriable.
power bill,ha,decembers was 400 bucks since the house is heated with electric.
My wood pile is still in good shape but I have burned at least 3 pickup loads in the last while keeping the shop warm. I repair stuff for a friend that does tree work,plus alot of wood around here so heating the shop is cheap to free
I am so ready for this to end and it be warm again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilf Bradbury on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:41 am:

Just got off the phone with my neighbour in Midland Ontario and they have 15 FEET of snow all around there home. Wind off Georgian bay is pumping streamers off the lake which is mostly frozen over.
We are suffering in Gilbert AZ.
Try and keep warm guys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 03:34 pm:

Mike, why are you blaming the weather when you're the dumb-ass that dropped the keys that should have been in your pocket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sundstrom on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 10:18 am:

That Breakfast Run picture from David in Australia motivated me this morning to be perhaps fire up the T and maybe run her down my road. On second thought, maybe a better wait a few more months. Well, that's how things go here in Minnesota, ice fishing anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 10:44 am:

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php
Mike, how is this one treating you? We are heading to a ski meet at Boyne Mountain this afternoon. Soon as the UPS guy gets here with some 4L80E rebuild parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 10:58 am:

John, I'm impressed you can even get your car running in this cold. But you're right...put it away for a couple more months and just take the snowmobile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 11:45 am:

Champion spark plugs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:10 pm:

I don't live in your type of winter conditions, but if I did I'd be all set. You all need one of these.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:23 pm:

There was a 3 foot snow drift this morning outside the back door to my store in Excelsior, MN. It is gone now by plow and shovel. Here in Minnesota we know how to handle snow. I will go home a bit early to clear my upper and lower driveways. I will then load up the wood boxes for my wood burning units in my two fireplaces, Here in Minnesota we know that days such as this will come by and we know how to cope. I may go out to LA in CA for a week next month, but I will hurry back. I will miss Minnesota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:49 pm:

THIS Weekend Jacksonville Fl. 80deg F Time to break out the lawn chairs and the ribs & brew!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 05:38 pm:

More comments. My wife wrote this in reply.

MINNESOTA COLD?

Falling temperatures, falling snow, falling you and me we are all faced with these decisions or events.
Tall boots, short boots or plain shoes.
Scraper, broom, snowbrush or all three to get the car going.
Headband, stocking cap, mad bomber hat or non-at-all.
Wide push shovel, scoop shovel, broom or let the snow lie where it is.
Lined jeans, long johns & jeans, corduroy pants or plain jeans.
Long coat, short coat or stay inside.
Clear the driveway now or later, it may stop snowing by then.
Regardless of these important decisions, we probably will dress warm when going out.
We will dig the car out of the snow drift and will go about doing what we normally do that is to live in Minnesota.
Or we will wait until tomorrow, the weather is bound to change.

LaVerna Leipold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 05:51 pm:

Slowly warming a bit here. Their now predicting pushing 50 deg. with a possible bit of rain on game day morning. Ticket prices have been dropping steadily. Don't know and don't care why.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 06:30 pm:

Charlie,People heard there was a traffic jam on a bridge!! Bud. Our first warning for our county was be prepaired to lose power and travel with blankets!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 12:11 pm:

Well! I got up this morning and looked outside. It has been raining! So this January won't go down as 0 inches after all. It might be 0.5 or so. I am hoping and praying that February will be wetter than average, because we are very dry all up the west coast.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 05:51 pm:

According to Bob Gruber above, Mike should find his keys in about 48 days but since he doesn't live in Washington it may be a bit longer. We should just send a rescue dog with a couple of thermos's ... what's yer poison Mike??

Lessons learned from this incident:

1) Walk behind Mike on payday
2) Don't hold keys in winter if yer hands are very hot
3) Leave spare shop keys under welcome mat (don't forget shovel to find welcome mat in winter)
4) Wear spare key on macho necklace (but bang head on door when unlocking it)
5) train dog to hunt keys
6) Leave large rock on fence post to throw thru shop window

Other options:
1) install an electronic lock that only needs a PIN to open
2) (like me) stand there and fume until yer temper is greater than the resistance of the door lock ... then smile and take a run at it!

Garnet

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration