Running board step plates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Running board step plates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:32 pm:

16 touring...

I've just finished attaching renders, the running board shields, and running boards. It's looking great!

I was looking at the brass running board step plates from Snyders. They are 65 bucks each, so I guess I'll need three of them....

Do you guys think it's worth the 195 bucks to add a little brass sexiness to the running boards?

Thanks for the advice!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred McDonald on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:50 pm:

I've always used the aluminum ones on my T's and they don't cost nearly as much. You didn't say but guess you have a brass radiator and want it to match. So then it becomes a matter of personal taste and if you have a spare $195. If you show it and are competing, it might be worth it but if it's for your own enjoyment then it's only the money. They do add a nice touch but the rest of the car should also look the part. This comment probably didn't help much but you asked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:58 pm:

Thanks Fred. Any I dead how they are attached? I suspect you have to drill new holes in the running boards?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:37 pm:

Michael..I bought one from Snyders for my '12 Roadster pickup and it's great. Yes, you do have to drill holes in the running board for it, and you have to order the brass bolts extra! The step plate doesn't come with them!!

I plan to add 3 of 'em to my '15 this spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:42 pm:

If you're not in a hurry; hope for a used set to come up on Ebay. Occasionally, a set will come up cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 08:26 pm:

Those are in the same category with fuzzy dice, bud vases, and steering wheel knobs. Not originally sold with the car, but some folks like to have them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

I wouldn't be spending hundreds of dollars for something incorrect and drilling a dozen large holes in my car but, that's just me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:42 pm:

I agree with Dave - drilling holes in a perfectly good set of running boards doesn't sound appealing. When I restored my '16, I thought about putting them on as well, but a friend of mine (who is very knowledgeable in T stuff) said that water tends to sit under the plates and eventually becomes a rust trap. Don't know if that's a fact or not, but I think a T looks good with them but better without as Henry intended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 10:12 pm:

Running boards were meant to be stepped on! The reason they put the diamonds on them, is so you only wear the paint off the tops of them. Step plates is a foolish waste of time and money, and I can't imagine drilling holes in them. Total nonsense! Not only that, Snyders doesn't need the money, you do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 10:20 pm:

The decision to install step plates is a function of how much you paid for the paint job. JMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 11:10 pm:

Black cars photograph badly in color because there is almost no texture or detail in the darkest areas unless you tweak the contrast (assuming digital photography) and if you do, everything else in the photo will look washed out. One of my art teachers referred to this as the “black-hole effect.” For that reason, a beam-on side-view is least attractive for a black touring car. They really need some kind of texture or a dash of brightwork to break up the untextured expanse of that slab side.

To that end, for my ’15 Touring, I was considering things like white tires, varnished spokes, or the brass step plates. White tires are correct; varnished spokes are not, but at least they’re still wooden spokes and the car is supposed to have them—and if not original, at least one can argue that varnished wood is period-correct. But, in my humble and very fallible opinion, brass step-plates take it one step too far because, not only are they period-incorrect, they’re… well, maybe a little too kitchy; sort of like painted lawn jockeys and plastic, pink flamingoes. And yeah, you’d have to drill twelve holes to mount a set of three, and that’s a hole lot of drilling (sorry, couldn’t resist). Maybe the step-plates would look more at home on a T-bucket hot-rod than a horseless carriage.

Want a dash of brass for the side of your’16 Touring? Okay—how ‘bout a set of brand new, blazing-bright, brass hubcaps, valve-stem covers and maybe cheat just a tiny bit with a set of brass, top prop-nuts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:24 am:

I bit the bullet and put them on the '15.... If I take my car somewhere I let kids and adults climb in for pictures and to mess around. I did not put them on the '11, didn't want to spend the dollars, and I always ask people to be careful not to turn their foot on the running board so it doesn't get scratched up; that's a bit of a pain, but better than repainting the running board when it gets trashed. I tried using a towel but it's slippery so a bod choice. So it's a personal choice; my family is careful and I don't need to worry, and it's not that much use. But I want kids to climb all over and enjoy the car, so it's for my benefit.

They loo sharp, but yeah, they're pricey..... good birthday or Christmas item!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:03 am:

Yes, step plates preclude wearing the paint off of the tops of the diamonds on the running boards, but nobody mentioned that they also preclude people kicking the splash shields and scuffing the paint in that area as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 08:13 am:

As far as looks go I think, there is nothing wrong with a flashy Model T if that's what you want and for that, Ford made bright red '09 and '10 touring cars and grey runabouts covered in brass. They look spectacular, not far behind a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost. Later on, Ford came out with the black look. Nobody made black more famous than Ford and the evolution towards the all black Ford and the reasons behind it are what make owners of the black cars so proud. And it is the reason why we are proud of '16 owners who avoid the temptation to put brass light trim on their cars. I think it is when people get bored with their cars that they start to over dress them. Some mods can look a bit tacky. I would save these things for the Model A if at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier Ms. on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 09:38 am:

My house didn't come with a doormat, but I did buy one. Don't worry about the holes in the running boards, you wont see them :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

Michael,
Plan and simple, ask your wife what SHE prefers!
Also Do you show your car and need trophies? At one time I did! Now I have those dust collecting and have to occasionally work on them.
I like to put them on my cars. The diamonds hold them up off of the RB. They will get worn and need polishing. I do not like my paint all scratched up. SO! Ask your wife!
Just do NOT tell her what they cost! I have a foundry in my shop and a pile of brass saved up. They tell me that the foundry I have from a high school in Kansas City will not melt brass though. ??? I have made several years ago in aluminum for the black T's. Use aluminum cans they are the purest aluminum to pour.
Joe in Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:30 pm:

They go well with the renders!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:07 am:

My wife bought the step plates at the swap meet and told me to put them on, she like the way they looked. I complied. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:24 am:

these were available as an accessory from Duncan Motors Limited from 1921 onwards. They are nickel plated brass.

Here's a link to the 2010 accessory of the day thread they were posted on.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/135870.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:49 am:

Jay, the plates you posted are to protect the valance [splash] panel from bumble feet. Perhaps they should be termed kick plates rather than step plates. They do look nice when properly fitted. However, I have seen some mounted as much as 3" above the running board. Sort of defeats the purpose. Duncan and Fraser certainly sold a lot of them in South Australia.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 07:18 am:

I've got a single step plate on my '17 Torpedo Runabout. It has a built in light. The light turns on when you open the door, activated by a plunger switch in the door jam. Power comes from the magneto, and is only available with the headlight switch on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Amara on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 10:40 am:

Has anyone else tried this? My friend Ken and I modified this repro step plate with slots that were similar to plates we found in some old photos.Modified Repro StepPlate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 10:52 am:

I put step plates on my Touring because I have young kids... who step on everything but the plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 11:00 am:

I bought two pair of used step plates on Ebay that are not matching pairs. Fortunately, one pair has holes on either side that perfectly match the placement of the carriage bolts that mount the boards to the braces, so all I had to do was remove and replace two carriage bolts. Two are enough and I didn't have to drill any holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 11:28 am:

I have a set of dealer-provided ones from Miami, FL. Dealer name with the "Lincoln FORD Fordson" byline, address and phone number. Cast aluminum, with nice patina from heavy use. They're wall hangers in my garage because T conversion tractors/doodlebugs have no runningboards AND I'm in Massachusetts. Picked them up because I had never seen another example of Ford agency advertising like them before (brass dash tags, yes - cast step plates, no).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 03:09 pm:

Ron, could you post pictures of those? Sounds like a neat accessory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 04:43 pm:

Here's a group of splash apron kick plates I posted back in 2010 under accessory of the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 05:01 pm:

Put me in the "they look silly" camp. My car has a beautiful paint job and I'd still rather have scratches then those things. I feel the same about natural spokes and motometers, but that's just me.

If you're really that worried about it, did you consider getting that clear stone guard sprayed on the running boards?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 05:15 pm:

Royce, I forgot to mention, Nice "Baby Lincoln" steep plate!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 08:30 pm:

Jared,

Per your request, here are some pictures of the pair of dealer advertisement step plates I have:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 08:35 pm:

Agency was Ryan & Knight, Miami, FL. the shield says:

Authorized Dealers
Ford
Lincoln
Motor Cars
Fordson Tractors

Thought they had the address and phone number, but they don't (my memory must be slipping).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 09:15 pm:

Ron, Neat! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration