Exhaust Pack Nut - wrench size

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Exhaust Pack Nut - wrench size
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:04 pm:

hey all, quick question. What is the size of the wrench we need to tighten the exhaust pack nut? The Mac's tool is pretty pricey at $35 and wondered if their is a regular commercial size that will fit. Thanks!

Brian
Dayton, Ohio

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:10 pm:

I used a pipe wrench with a rag to not mark the nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:25 pm:

adjustable pipe wrench worked for me, tapping lightly with a small hammer to snug up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

You guys got lucky,using a pipe wrench.That is an almost sure way to break a manifold. Buy the right wrench,it is cheaper than a new manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:45 pm:

oops *there. grammar check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:50 pm:

You guys got lucky,using a pipe wrench.That is an almost sure way to break a manifold. Buy the right wrench,it is cheaper than a new manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 10:00 pm:

Jack certainly has a point. If you really pull down on the pipe wrench you could break the manifold. Be careful to just snug it up and let it go at that.

My $.02 worth...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 10:07 pm:

Forget the price! A Ford packnut wrench is the only way to go, since it was designed especially for that purpose, and I certainly wouldn't consider buying a reproduction with so many originals around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:05 am:

Hi, Brian. The wrench measures 2 1/16" Hope this helps. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 07:31 am:

thanks guys, even the commercial large size wrenches are expensive, looks like ebay will be the way to go. thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:19 am:

OT but somewhat related....Is an early compression style packnut usable with the later flange exhaust pipe? Is there a gasket that is required with the flange style tube? I have a 1912 original manifold and packnut, to be replaced with the flanged exhaust tube.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:37 am:

A round pack nut can only go on with a pipe wrench. For the hex nuts there are some pretty large modern water pump wrenches check NAPA etal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:00 am:

I too use a pipe wrench in combination with well lubed manifold threads and nut threads ( neverseeze copper) and lots of common sense while tightening. I run the engine to heat things up a bit then check again when cool. I suspect you can break or strip the nut with the correct wrench too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 01:11 pm:

Unless you have a really big bad a** pipe wrench I don't see how you will break the manifold over using the T wrench. If you have an older repo pack nut I don't think the original Ford wrench will work anyway, the pack nut has a larger outside dimension as I recall.
The one reason to use the Ford wrench is the angle of the head to the handle and how it fits in the space.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 01:20 pm:

I used a pipe wrench as well, but I think there is a big difference between that and a "regular" wrench, Ford or not. The pipe wrench squeezes the nut - the tighter you pull, the tighter it squeezes. I think that clamps the nut on to the manifold threads and actually makes it harder to tighten. I got it done, because I was in a hurry, but I could see it being a lot easier to do with the right wrench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leonard J Evansic on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

Ive found the old 16 or 18 inch monkey wrench is perfect for that nut. The wrenches are like an oversize ford wrench with wooden handles.
The jaws are smooth and unlike pipe wrenches. the jaws remain parallel at any opening. They adjust like a crescent wrench.
If you pick up two and a couple of four foot one and a half inch black pipes, you will have the perfect tools to straighten the flanges of a Model T frame. Flea markets are loaded with them for under $10.
When you find them close the jaws to check them for minimal clearance. --- Len

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 01:54 pm:

The repop. or original exhaust packing nut wrench is worth having and makes the job easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:54 pm:

thanks all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 06:45 pm:

This is what I use. When I bought my 8N tractor, this came with it. It fits the large nut in the center of the rear wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray W on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:57 am:

Brian

You can buy the wrench from a dealer much closer and cheaper to you. Gaslight Auto Parts in Urbana Ohio. Part # 3061-W @ $28.95.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:16 pm:

I checked my extra tools this morning and I have an extra exhaust pipe wrench.$25 plus shipping ,if you're interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 04:46 pm:

Jumbo size metric adjustable (Cresent) wrench worked for me. Just use common sense on force applied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 05:46 pm:

Gary,Me too! I like to go to Trufant and sometimes it's worth the trip.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 05:58 pm:

I found a large, slightly smaller open end wrench at a flea market for a dollar and used angle grinder to open up to fit the new cast brass packing nut. It doesn't have to be pretty to work! jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 03:15 pm:

Bud, Also like to visit Trufant. Only about 18 miles from me. Didn't make it last year due tending to wife while she healed up. At least something to look foreward to while watching it snow, snow, snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 06:12 pm:

I once picked up 4 large OE spanners at a farm clearing sale, all the same size. Judicious use of an angle grinder turned them into T exhaust packnut spanners. They are where you find them.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration