1911 torpedo runabout hood latch location

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1911 torpedo runabout hood latch location
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:49 am:

Are the rear hood latches for the torpedo runabouts with the two inch longer hoods located in the normal location used on the other models or are they moved back two inches?
Thanks,
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 01:42 am:

The rear latches are move back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 07:54 am:

Mark:

I respectfully disagree. At least not on my Open Runabout. The only changes to the torpedo frame are that the the rear running board brackets are moved forward a bit and the typical gasoline tank mounting holes are not there although one Torpedo was found that had one frame rail drilled for "standard" frame location of the running board brackets as well as the torpedo location and the other clearly was never drilled for standard side but only had the Torpedo running board brackets holes. The rear hood clips on my 1911 or noticeably further forward of the rear end of the hood as compared to the front. The torpedo dash brackets are unique and they mount in the "standard" dash bracket hole locations and the hood clip holes are not moved rearward on the torpedo frame.

This link might help.

http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/FPIframe.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 09:41 am:

You may be correct John; however, I have seen them both ways. Not sure which would be correct. Anyone have a factory drawing to confirm? If I were to build a Torpedo from parts, I would move them back for appearance sake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:57 pm:

I was able to locate an original set of (suspected)1911 Torpedo sill plates and the latch holes appear to be in the same location as the standard Ford sill plates. Again, I have seen a few where the rear latch was placed in the position of the mounting bolt hole and the mounting bolt placed in the latch hole. However, after inspecting the believed to be originals, I must submit to the position taken by John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 04:52 pm:

All of the info I posted is taken from actual factory drawings that I have here. The sill plate is in fact called the "hood block" and the right side one is drawing 2305. Since the hood clips mount outside of the hood block mounting bolts then interchanging the clip and mounting bolt holes would result in the clip being even further forward rather than further rearward. I have never seen them "both ways" myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 12:20 am:

Mark and John, thanks for your help. I will install the hood clips in the standard location.
John, your frame dimension drawing is the most helpful piece of information I've seen for restoring a Model T. Trying to determine where to position components in three-dimensional space is always a real challenge. The drawing takes much of the guesswork out of the task. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Art

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration