Levelling running boards

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Levelling running boards
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Jackson on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:54 am:

Any idea how to level the running board brackets ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:11 pm:

Make sure all 4 tires are the same size and the same number of leaves in both springs???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:16 pm:

Early or late?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:24 pm:

On my 21 both (channel type support) running boards slant up to the rear and look square to the chassis other wise. As they are both about the same I came to the conclusion they were made that way. I could be wrong.
What way are yours not level? What year, forged or channel? Both would be done about the same way, cold bend them. If they are the forged type I would remove the truss rods before bending.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:54 pm:

John Regan, owner of Fun Projects, has posted on his website a drawing of the Model T frame with dimensions. Here is a link to the drawing; http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/FPIframe.pdf

It was very helpful to me when restoring the frame for a '15 I'm working on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 01:12 pm:

put more air in some tires and let air out of others. haha, ok back to the funny farm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:07 pm:

One thing that is sometimes overlooked is that you don't want the early running board brackets parallel to the ground. They should wing up a bit at the end before anything else in installed. You want the truss rods to pull them in not push them out to hold the shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:47 pm:

Richard -- I have a great deal of respect for your Model T knowledge, but I don't understand the reasoning behind what you said in your post above. It seems to me that if you pulled the bottoms of the brackets inward using the truss rods, it would just twist the frame rails. The rails are much more flexible than the running board brackets, so they would be the first part to distort. I can't see how that's a good idea. Please enlighten me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 06:02 pm:

Brian, when you park your car remember to do so on other than flat ground. That way they will never be level, and nobody will worry anyway.
I'm off to join Tyrone!!

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration