Copper plating

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Copper plating
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:08 pm:

I just picked up this really nice, bayonet style Ford oil can made by Noera Mfg. Co. Unfortunately, all the copper plating has been rubbed off so it is a natural silver color. Does anyone know of a reputable place to send this to have it re-plated, and what would it cost and is it worth it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:31 pm:

Theoretically, any plating shop can do it. When nickel plating and chrome plating, copper goes on first. Like a primer when painting. The trick is finding a competent shop. I haven't had any plating done for years, so no comment on the cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Mullis on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 02:38 pm:

Bill
Check out Caswell Plating Supply.
They sell small plating kits that are very easy to use. The employ a plating brush, plating solution and small power supply for about 35 dollars. The plating process is like painting with a small brush, very simple.
I copper plated a few 1943 steel pennies. Thats alot of fun if you want to "mess" with a coin collector.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration