CAMCO water pump - rotations

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: CAMCO water pump - rotations
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodrigo Nunes Ricardo on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:29 pm:

I live in Brazil, a hot country, so I bought a water pump brand CAMCO (NOS) for my '25 Touring.
We are finalizing the restoration of the engine but my mechanic wants to know the minimum and maximum rotation attained by that pump (to calculate pulley size).

Who can help me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:40 pm:

I can't answer the specific question, but I can tell you a properly restored T should not need a water pump. The car was designed to run without it. A good radiator and a clean cooling system should be enough. In Texas, Arizona, and California (also hot places) there are stock Model T's that don't overheat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:46 pm:

Agree with Steve 100%. Can only say most water pumps I have seen have a pully about the same or slightly smaller than the fan pully. A good radiator and clean block make the pump superfluous. They do make a nice wall decoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 02:46 pm:

Pulley......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:20 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:26 pm:

Maybe Royce will read this and have the answer??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodrigo Nunes Ricardo on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

Folks, you're right about a properly restoration and all, but my radiator is not 100% and I have no conditions to buy a new one. Restoring a model T in Brazil is not as easy as in USA... I really need those info...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:40 pm:

Geez all you guys shore answered the man question. Be proud of your self. Rodrigo I have a lot of different size pulleys if someone give you a straight answer instead of all the garbage I will send you one free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:40 pm:

Geez all you guys shore answered the man question. Be proud of your self. Rodrigo I have a lot of different size pulleys if someone give you a straight answer instead of all the garbage I will send you one free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:49 pm:

Be sure to have a slight crown on the pulley so that the belt will ride properly. Also some water pumps have an adjustment screw that forces against the side of the block so that the pump can be aligned with the fan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:56 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 04:06 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Erbach on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 04:10 pm:

Hi Rodrigo,
I just measured the OD of the pulley on the water pump I took off of my T. The OD of mine is 2.75 inches with a .125 shoulder on each edge to keep the belt tracking. I hope this helps. I am on the fence as to weather or not I need it, but she ran as we'll with it as she did without it. ( The guys in my club say it is unnecessary) I,m running without it until I see a reason to put it back on.
Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 04:28 pm:

I have two T's both restored about the same time and same quality. One has a pump, one does not. Both i have run in parades. The one with the pump runs hot and i have to ideal up to keep it cool. I won't run one. My unasked for 2 cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 05:05 pm:

You have the pump, give it a try. If it doesn't work out too well, then try it without it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodrigo Nunes Ricardo on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 07:59 pm:

Thank you all, maybe I shall not use the pump by now and see how the engine will run. Thank you, Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:29 pm:

The pumps I use all have 2 5/8" or 2 3/4" diameter pulleys. I know they make smaller pulleys, but the pumps I've tried with these smaller types don't cool. I've given away or thrown away a couple Bergs and bunch I don't remember the name of. They weren't worth a damn. If that pump were mine, I'd try a larger pulley and see how it performs.
Oh, one thing I learned. If you run a pump, you generally need an aftermarket crank pulley with lips to keep the belt on. The parts suppliers sell a couple varieties. I like the one that Dan Mc Eachern makes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:31 am:

Every Model T I own has had a water pump on it at some time in the past. Every one of them ran cooler and leaked less when the water pump was removed. Reliability is thus greatly improved by removing any water pump.

One thing you can say about water pumps for sure - if you don't have a waterpump your engine will never have over heating caused by water pump locking up, have a leaking water pump, or have the fan belt come off because the water pump pulley is misaligned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:33 am:

Good luck on your restoration Rodrigo. Restoring a T here certainly is not an easy or inexpensive task. We have been searching for even the remains of one here in Ecuador.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodrigo Nunes Ricardo on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:37 am:

Gary, tienes un '27 muy guapo, muchas gracias por tu palavras de incentibo.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration