Buggered slot in steering box

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Buggered slot in steering box
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:01 pm:

The slot in this steering gear case is messed up. Right now my only real option is to repair. I tried brazing but the brass just beaded up. What about installing pins at the end of the slot? Or I could just get rid of the long pin in the spider and with a short pin. The one end is stepped the other has a nice slope to it.
http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/redmodelt/media/Model%20T%20steering%20box/DSC F0966_zpsacf05d61.jpg.html

Sorry got to use photobucket, the smallest my camera will do is over 600MP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:04 pm:

Mark Gregush:

Give me a call, I have some!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 05:54 pm:

Mark, if you must repair it 'in situ', I would suggest you use a dremel tool and burr to make the grooves good. Then make a brass inset to fill the void each end, and silver solder them into the groove. You will require less temperature for soldering and reduce the risk of distorting/ melting the brass gearcase.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 06:10 pm:

It may not seem like it now, but it would be a whole lot easier to remove the case, put in a good one (Dave Huson just mentioned he has one) rivet it and repaint the column. The biggest pain is removing the adjuster rod ends so you can remove the control rods from the column housing. Removing the rods from the gear box isn't too bad; there are a bunch of posts in the past on how to anneal the brass so you can bend it.

If you remove it for repair you'll go through the exact same removal / installation process, but you still have to deal with the repair. If you know someone good at welding brass they can do it; if someone doesn't know how they can really botch it up. So you'll probably pay someone for the welding, then the machining....... Be a lot less expense to buy a good one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 06:43 pm:

Mark

Your late gear case looks normal to me.

The T steering is anything but precise! That long groove just provides a path for the long pinion and to provide a stop for it. The pinion end doesn't glide on the groove.

Here is a late case on the left, early 4:1 case on the right. Note the long '24-up 5:1 case has groove similar to yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 07:06 pm:

It's for a 26/27 so I think I will go with cleaning it up. Thanks for everyone's help. Someone in the past may have swapped the cases out and installed an early version.
There I learned something new! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 09:12 pm:

mark, note in dans photo the cover on the left is knurled all the way down, thats 26-7, and the cover on right is only knurled near the top, early case

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:12 pm:

Covers are interchangeable! :-) It's a mixed bag as it is but the sun gear is the small one and the gear plate is marked with a 5.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration