60Minutes Yesterday Jay Leno

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 60Minutes Yesterday Jay Leno
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

Busy yesterday finishing up the demo on my basement bathroom. I was reminded of the interview at coffee this morning on 60 minutes last night of Jay Leno. My first thought was, darn I missed it. But then I remembered that there is the internet and I'd be able to watch it on my computer. So a half hour ago I went looking for it. Here is the link.

http://video.tvguide.com/60+Minutes/Jay+Leno+on+leaving+The+Tonight+Show/2147709 5?primary=Shows&primaryvalue=60%20Minutes

Be sure and scroll down to see "Related Videos". There are 3-5 more to watch.

Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 02:39 am:

That interview changed my mind about Mr. Leno.

I was of the opinion he handed over his show to Conan and then wanted it back.

His wife Mavis sure had a thing or two to say ....

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 03:46 am:

Saw it first Sunday night and this was the first time i ever watched tv on the internet! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Fretschl Oshkosh Wi on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:26 am:

I usually just tape Jay's monolog, and watch it later. Well, I guess that will change my entertainment routine. Did not know that Jay still works a nite club act every Sunday nite! I would really like to see him live once. But most of all I wish I could get a private tour from Jay, of his Big Dog Garage! Try to tell me if that wouldn't be great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:41 am:

John, that Big Dog Garage as you called it even has a model T. I think the model T club helped him find one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:01 am:

The car Jay is working on in the 60 Min. piece is a 40 HP White. I had the pleasure of knowing Dick Hemple, a cantankerous gentleman who restored the 2 40 HP Whites Jay now owns. Dick lived in Emmett, ID. He looked down his nose at my Model T speedster but did give me an exciting ride in his 1913 Mercer which Leno also tried to buy. The story I heard was that Hemple had spent a years salary on the Mercer and if Jay wanted to pay Dick's wife what Jay made in a year that would be fine.
I was fortunate to ride in both steamers after 2 fellows in Boise bought them from Dick. Steam is very wonderful but beyond my reach or capabilities.
The cars are in good hands now. Jay seems to know a lot about steam and has some good people working with his. It's hard to identify with someone with that many cars and that much money but folks tell me he is a typical car guy.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:10 am:

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is a link to Jay's Model T Ford video, it must have been filmed in late 2007 or early 2008:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/ford/1925-ford-model-t-roadster/index.shtml#i tem=84445

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 01:12 pm:

We see Jay every year at the HME in Pasadena. This year I had the pleasure to meet our famous Jerry Hoffman from Kansas and take him there along with Ralph Ricks.
The cool thing about Jay is that if you didn't know his TV fame you would never guess it. His knowledge about cars is without measure. Jerry posted some nice pictures of the HME and a couple of Jay talking to guys.

At our Justice Bros stop I was parked next to him and after I showed him my period looking front brakes he showed me his new wireless turn signals! Just like a couple of regular mechanic guys bragging to each other about their latest toys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

Jay is one of the great people in this hobby. I have had the pleasure to see him at numerous car shows and swap meets over the years and he is always friendly. Most of the time I feel a bit sad for him though. I know how can you feel bad for some one as famous, rich, and as popular as he is? But in the end he is a car guy like the rest of us and he seems to truly enjoy attending these car events. How wonderful is that? A guy that can buy any car he might want and has a team of poodle working for him, still is out in the swap meet like the rest of us looking for more parts. You almost never see any other clebs on the stature of Jay out there. So next time you see him, remember he is one of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:30 pm:

Don Garlits is like that. Every year he hosts one or more car shows at his museum of drag racing in Ocala, Florida. During the show he's out there scouring the swap meet with everybody else.

If you're ever in that area, be sure to check out his museum, it's well worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:03 pm:

I had the pleasure of co-hosting with Jay the Centennial of the Automobile for NBC. He is a great guy, very friendly, one of us kind of guy. I was very impressed with his knowledge of cars. Until then, I thought he was just one of those rich guys who had the money to collect. Incidentally, we share the exact same birthday!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:22 pm:

I found it interesting that Jay has his cars at an airport in California in two Big hangars at Burbank airport in California.
Steve Mcqueen had his collection of motor cycles and aeroplanes in a Santa Paula airport hangar in California.
Jerry Seinfeld has his Porsche collection at Van Nuys airport in California.
I have my model A Ford (collected) in a hangar at Ryan airport in Tucson, Arizona. We need to look closely in our local airports for long forgotten Model T's stored by famous people.
They may be hiding there waiting for us while we are trying to close the airports as noise makers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

Hey Mark, the truth of the matter for me is that I would rather share a tall cold one with Don Garlits than with Leno. If only because he had a much larger impact on me car-wise. I grew up watching the drags with my dad. Saw Don and a few others live back in the day in southern California.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Mullis on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:36 am:

I love the Leno Model T video.
I have watched it numerous times.
It never gets old.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration