Model T tool wanted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T tool wanted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug jenkins Plain City Utah on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:18 pm:

Iam looking for a good used K.R. WILSON KRW1 Magneto and flywheel gap gauge let me know thanks Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug jenkins Plain City Utah on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:57 pm:

This is the tool I need

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:04 pm:

You just missed one on ebay. You could have out bid me! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug jenkins Plain City Utah on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:08 pm:

Day late A Dollar short!!! Thanks Mark let me Know if u see any more?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:13 pm:

What I payed you could buy a new one for less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:31 pm:

http://www.modeltford.com/item/KRW1.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:39 pm:

Contact Bob Scherzer,he makes them.bscherzer@juno.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:54 pm:

You can buy them from the vendors, (the one Jack mentioned above) for around $190.00; or you can try to buy a cheaper on like the one that recently sold on Ebay for quite a bit (at least $50.00) more, if I remember correctly. I could be way too low. If you find someone who has a bunch to sell less than a new repro, let me know. I'm in the market, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 12:33 am:

I have this one available, barely used (found out I prefer to set the gaps the hard way). $160 including postage to the US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 01:02 am:

Chris, Why do you like the feeler gauge method better. While we're on the subject; will one of the old original Ford one piece shims be enough?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 01:38 am:

Why cant we have a tool rental program???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 03:17 am:

Terry, I had been doing it the old way first then bought the tool. Perhaps (probably) I didn't give it enough time, but I found it easier to get consistent gaps using feeler gauges and taking the flywheel on and off and on and off and on and off to adjust shims. Takes me several hours, however the results are good, with the gap at the top of the coil ring is 0.025-0.028 to anywhere on the flywheel and 0.030-0.033 at the bottom of the ring.

If your second sentence is directed at me, I can't help you 'cause I don't understand the question.

Chris B, if you are reading this post, please note the word "shims" is flagged by the spell checker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:42 am:

I found that an old ring gear helped a lot. It sticks at the high points and you can measure the rest with feeler gauges.
You can get the high points equal with a vernier depth gauge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 11:16 am:

Too bad I don't have three to sell -- the KRW gauge has been spoken for by a veritable chorus of Forumeers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 01:42 pm:

For the cost of the Mag gap gauge you can buy a nice rebuilt mag coil ring. I have set the gap without the gauge on my T's and all is well.
To each his own I guess.
Not knowing any better I assembled the transmission to the engine on my garage floor in the horizontal position and set the mag gap on the floor on my knees. But I was younger and dumber and that was about 40 years ago. But it worked. I do use a rotatable engine stand now and its easier now. Got smarter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 03:16 pm:

O.K.--I guess I didn't read all the instructions! I have one of those tools, but, only use it when "building" a flywheel, to make sure all the magnet contacts are at the same level. When installing the trans w/flywheel assembly, I use feeler gauges to set the gap between the ring gear and magnet contacts. I don't see how a feeler gauge can tell you if the height of all the magnet contacts on the flywheel are the same height--that's what the tool does for me. Also, I don't see how the tool can determine the gap between the ring gear and flywheel!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 06:47 pm:

I have set up one magneto using the tool and two without it. I found it just as easy to do without the tool as with it. Like John suggested, if it were me I would use the money for something else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:28 pm:

Mike...

Q. "I don't see how a feeler gauge can tell you if the height of all the magnet contacts on the flywheel are the same height"

A. Mount the flywheel on the crank and use feelers to measure the gaps between each of the magnet contacts and any one (but only one) of the field coil poles. From this, determine which of the spools need to be shimmed up to make all the contacts level.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:54 pm:

Use Brass feeler gauges, a lot less frustrating.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 03:21 am:

I'm with Mike; It's great for rebuilding a flywheel... nothing better. I use feeler gauges for the mag gap.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration