Axle housing cap: Why a notch?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Axle housing cap: Why a notch?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:50 am:

I don't see any reason for the square notch, but they all have it. Anybody know why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:51 am:

If you put them on with the hub key in place on the axle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 12:14 pm:

Beats me. I don't see it being for key clearance. If the key ever engaged that, you're in trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 12:35 pm:

I thought that it was so you could leave the key in place also. I guess if you key was tight why take it out. Or it was someones idea in the past and to this day they still make them with the slot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 12:37 pm:

It's to show where the top of the circle goes OR It's supposed to go on the bottom so the grease has a place to get out on the brakes and wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 12:39 pm:

Could it be there was a time savings at the factory? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 12:45 pm:

My belief was it's intended to slip over the axle with the key in place. It's important to remember that when everything fits correctly, the key doesn't simply fall out like it does on most cars today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 12:57 pm:

I've often wondered about that too. And as I recall, you can install that cap with the key in the axle, but who would want too? And Steve, next time you post a picture, the least you could do is post a picture of a good cap, or better yet, a 1919 or earlier one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 01:14 pm:

You're assuming I have a good one.

I do have a couple of the earlier ones, but they're not a lot better.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration