Aluminium Fordor Sedan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Aluminium Fordor Sedan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Altemus on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:51 am:

Hey all, I've been tasked at work with finding more info on a Model T body we're trying to sell. So far I've determined that it's an early 1923 body, but past that I haven't found much. It's an all aluminium body, and it has the earlier style fenders. Are there any specific things I should look for/photograph? Ive got a bunch of pictures, but here's one to start. http://i.imgur.com/byq65Tol.jpg
Your thoughts?

-Charlie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:58 am:

Look at Hap's post in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/169440.html?1289142713

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Altemus on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 11:02 am:

Some more pics
Honeycomb Radiator
Exterior
Interior

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Altemus on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 11:11 am:

Here's the full album with lots of detail shots
http://imgur.com/a/cgQuW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 11:48 am:

I have a set of doors for one that are good, like these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 12:13 pm:

This 1923 Fordor is #7833464, engine manufactured Saturday, June 16, 1923. The doors and back panels are aluminum. The previous owner painted the steel cowl and lower quarter panels to match the aluminum.

The story I've heard or read is that Ford Started making the Fordor with all aluminum panels but found that the difference between aluminum and steel amounted to only eighty pounds, so changed to steel as the aluminum parts a were used up. I don't recall the source, so I don't know if it's true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:08 pm:

Looks like its missing the interior trim moldings and window glass and perhaps some of the window glass mounting channels and regulators. It appears to have a complete windshield. Here's my number $1500 if complete and $800 if its missing the parts I mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:22 pm:

Charles, it is a low cowl, makes it a 23 but you already know that, I have rewooded three of these and painted five, they are a great car to tour with and to stay out of the weather with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:51 pm:

Charles,

Great looking '23 Fordor. The low hood, wooden firewall, and lack of a cowl vent makes it without question a real '23 Fordor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:49 am:

" lack of a cowl vent makes it without question a real '23 Fordor"

But it does have a cowl vent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:15 am:

But NOT the one in question, Aaron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:05 pm:

Charlie,

Form the above posting you have verified that your car shown below is an early 1923 Model T Ford (1923 model year also) Fordor and is not a later 1924 model year Fordor. If you want additional information about the body or car -- please clarify what type of information you want or your boss would like know. I.e. is he wanting to sell only the body and therefore asking only about the body. Or is he asking about the entire car and if so what would he like to know? Would he like an estimate of the value or a review of the parts and if they are appropriate for an early 1923 Fordor or from a different year range? Or is he looking for something else?

Aaron,

The car/body Charlie was asking about is shown below. Note it does not have the cowl vent, is a low cowl car, has the all aluminum body and is an early 1923 model year Fordor.

Note that Steve also posted a photo of a second Fordor. That one is also a 1923 low cowl 1923 model year Fordor but it was produced later. It has the steel lower panels painted to match the aluminum upper panels (not a factory original color). It also has the cowl vent but is NOT the car that Charlie is asking about.

Finally just to make the series a little more complete, below is a 1925 model year Fordor that is a high cowl, has the vent, and has the lip on the front fenders and splash apron below the radiator. The body is the same size cowl for 1924-25 model year cars. Some of those 1924 model year cars could have been produced in calendar year 1923, but they were still 1924 model year cars. Just like the 2014 cars were available in the fall of 2013 but were still 2014 model year cars. This one is posted for comparison. It comes from Bruce’s CD page 2 of the 1925 section and is also used on page 21 of the Sep-Oct 1976 “Vintage Ford” used by permission.

Or as that old TV show used to say, “Would the real “Early 1923 Fordor please stand up?”

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration