Sorry... another felloe v. rim dilemma! New member

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Sorry... another felloe v. rim dilemma! New member
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Kelly on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 01:16 pm:

(Pictures below) Rebuilding a 1922 TT One Ton that came with rims/tires separate from the truck. When I tried to mount the rims, seems they "almost" fit. They are stamped Hayes rims and have 6 lugs. No markings on the felloes. The lug saddles (not sure of proper name for these) line up to the recessed spots on the felloes, and the rim/felloe seems to seat nicely (no space visible between them top to bottom, and front and back seem to meet up with the felloes tightly), but as seen in the picture, the lug saddle does not meet up with the felloe (3/8" gap at each lug). A couple of the lug saddles also seem to have been either cut to remove the rim or have broken leaving a half-moon for the lug to seat into. Anyone know what felloes I have here as changing the rims seem the cheapest way to go and the safest. As an alternative idea, if I had some 3/8" spacers cut to match the saddles (and the half-moon saddles welded back properly, would this be a safe fix? Open to any and all ideas or reactions... thanks for any help you can offer! Tim

Rim
Felloe
Problem...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Pitts on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 01:32 pm:

Looks correct to me. Tighten nuts evenly all around and leave equal space between lugs and felloe. The rim is a wedge fit on the wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 01:45 pm:

That's the way they should fit, or the nuts would be tight, and the rim would move in use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

The wheels that came on my TT project have separate lugs, not attached to the rim, and apparently thicker spokes than your picture suggests. I'd be interested to see a side view of your wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Pitts on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 02:19 pm:

Steve, I believe Tim has the 23" rear wheels. Your rears are the typical 20".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:01 pm:

Tim,

It's not necessary that the lugs be drawn down tight against the felloes. Same is true for T's and not just TT's. Lots of guys reef them down tight and essentially distort, or sometimes break off, the lugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 06:52 pm:

Seems to me the lug bolt should stick a thread or two out of the lug nut. Maybe all that's needed is to give each nut another turn or two,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Kelly on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:54 pm:

Thanks so much for the responses everyone! Wow, you guys are great! Only fear I have is that there isn't much in the way of threads into the lug? Maybe a longer lug bolt for safety?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration