Transmission weight

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Transmission weight
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Manlove on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

Engine is mounted on stand nose down, can 2 guys lift transmission off or do I need to rig up some type of sling for hoist? have 15 gallon grease can to set it on. Thanks.
Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 01:58 pm:

Donald:

When I was a lot younger I used to lift them on and off by myself, but I decided lifting them off manually was stupid so I now used a motor lifter and a device below.

transmission lifter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 01:59 pm:

Another picture of lifting a transmission.

transmission

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 02:00 pm:

Have a table or stand next to engine. The trans weighs around 75 lbs or so. One guy can lift it off it and on fairly easy. It takes about 3-4 tries when setting the mag clearance on mine. Or it does for me. Not real easy but not real hard either to remove and set it back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

Two guys easy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

Final picture, maybe

transmission

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 02:06 pm:

I like Dave Huson's transmission lift set up. I will do that next time. Good idea. Wonder why that or something similar hasent been made to sell from the vendors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 02:06 pm:

To make the weight lighter, I took the transmission apart while still connected to the crankshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 02:34 pm:

Dave what is the measurement of the hole in the bracket.I have time to make one.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 02:50 pm:

Try lifting the engine block by hand. If that works, you'll find lifting the transmission to be very easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 03:06 pm:

Some of us like to work smarter - not harder !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:08 pm:

Steve I know that is recommended in the transmission manual, but I always thought that it was a broken leg or foot waiting to happen. If just one of those chains slip it would be a disaster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:17 pm:

Fred Wicker:

I made it to fit the CLUTCH SHIFT RING. I come out at 1.80.
I thought about manufacturing this tool. I tried to see if there was any interest a few years back on this Forum, but got very little response. I would think that a person could retail them fairly cheap.

If I was going to do another I would drill two holes in the plate, insert the rod through the holes and put threads on the ends of the rods rather than weld them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:26 pm:

John Kuehn:

I have a friend that is already producing one T accessory. He has asked me about anything else that might be a good accessory to produce. I think I will see if he is interested in producing the lifter. If any one ever uses one they would really like it. I sometimes bring home transmissions and use it to unload them out of the pickup for storage. My shop is 64 feet long so I sure would not want to carry a transmission too far.

pick up load

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:28 pm:

pickup load

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

My opinion is that Dave's lifting tool would sell better than some of the other tools that are sold by the vendor's.
Its simple and has 2 moving parts. Nothing better than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:36 pm:

I don't assembly the transmission till done setting the gap. That way I am only dealing with the weight of the flywheel and magnets. I do check fit of parts before hand and when the gap is set I put the drums and triple gears on the flywheel that's bolted to the engine in horizontal position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:18 pm:

Same here

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration