OT - Arizona & Missouri Guns: ATribute to the Fallen

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Arizona & Missouri Guns: ATribute to the Fallen
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 03:22 pm:

I thought some of you might like this.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/0dFIZX_RXuU

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 03:51 pm:

Nice. I cant remember what ship my uncle was on during WW2 but he mentioned that when the big guns were firing you could not be on deck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:11 pm:

When I was in Vietnam we had the U.S.S. New Jersey fire support for us. We were told each shell weighed the same as a Volkswagen and it sounded like a freight train going overhead.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

Thank You!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:35 pm:

The Missouri was 2 miles off our port beam when she fired a volley over our heads from her 16 inch guns while I was on the USS Midway (aircraft carrier). The concussion from that volley rattled our ship like a baby's rattle.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16%22/50_caliber_Mark_7_gun) A link talking about the weight of the rounds. The larger rounds were propelled by four 50 pound bags of black powder. The black powder was "sacked" in silk sacks to prevent static electricity and spontaneous combustion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:46 pm:

I had the privilege of touring the Missouri while it was still anchored near Seattle. It happened to be on the anniversary of the bomb drop on Nagasaki. As long as I live, I will never forget the guys in their 80's, standing on the Surrender Deck, looking at the bronze commemorative plaque, with tears streaming down their faces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:51 pm:

Jerry,

Thank you. We owe so much to the members of the Greatest Generation.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:20 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:44 pm:

Here is a 4 minute video of the USS New Jersey Firing those 16" guns. After you click on the link scroll down a little to view the video. This web page has a lot of really cool Navy History. Enjoy!

http://eugeneleeslover.com/VIDEOS/USS_Wisconsin_16in_gunfire.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:46 pm:

Well I put the Wisconsin on instead of the New Jersey but they are still the same guns.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration