Trying to start a Model T TOOL loaning program, in the forming Utah Model T club need donations of tools to get going.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Trying to start a Model T TOOL loaning program, in the forming Utah Model T club need donations of tools to get going.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:13 pm:

I am trying to start a T tool loaning/rental program for the Model T club starting in Utah.

I am not doing this to take away any sales of tools from our great venders. There are some people that can not afford to purchase all the tools necessary. Just to help get another T on the road, as I think in my opinion that the best way to spread our Affliction is having them on the road.

Please PM me if you have any tools to donate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:24 pm:

Remind me in the spring. I may have some tools at my summer place. Youve got a good idea, I hope it works out for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:45 pm:

How about a national tool loan program? Most of tools are used once and it's hard sometimes to come up with a couple of hundred dollars for a one time use.

Just my .02 cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:08 pm:

I see two obstacles to a national program. 1 Getting a volunteer to run it; 2 Cost of shipping. The latter might make it cheaper to hire work done locally in the case of heavier tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:48 pm:

Andrew, you may want to get a list of what each member has and is willing to loan or do the work, i tried and only had three people that sent a list even though they ere asking for such a list, keeping track of who has a particular tool at any time is hard and a lot of people are just plain stingy.I will attempt to put the list on here.
Rick

application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document
Smoky Ts Tools and things.docx (15.4 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:50 pm:

It won't open it is a Word 2010 format.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:57 pm:

How about at a mim cost so a fund can also be aval. to replace worn of broken tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 06:07 pm:

You will need to collect a deposit equal to the replacement value of the tool and then refund, say 90%, when the tool is returned in good condition in an agreed on time frame. If someone gets a tool for free there is no incentive to take care of the tool and return it in a timely fashion. When someone has an investment in something, then that peaks their interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 06:10 pm:

Rick,

You can download a file converter from the MS website for MS Word that lets you open docx files with word 2003, or Word 97.

Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam "POPS" Humphries, Lexington, KY on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 06:19 pm:

Down load the file, locate in windows explorer and using rename change .unk to .docx. Just worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:07 pm:

I don't see it happening anytime soon. Tools are expensive if you buy good ones. The junk HF sells just wouldn't hold up to heavy use. I have just about stopped loaning any of mine,cause it is to difficult to get them returned.You can come use a tool here,but the tool stays here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:53 pm:

The idea would be OK for the local club members.
Also if I were a member of the club I would be really concerned about loaning them out to anyone else.
In my 50 plus years working around people loaning things out, almost every time something doesn't come back.

A little off topic: A neighbor wanted to borrow my 16 ft. trailer. I told him I was using it for an extended amount of time. I came up with that after I saw his in his front yard with a bent tongue and collapsed side rails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:56 pm:

I only loan out T tools if I am with the tool 100% of the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:05 pm:

There are lots of tools that can be made easily. Things like sleeve puller, bushing drivers, etc. One thing that I always thought would be a good chapter project was the HCCT. When I worked up plans for one I thought chapters would take it on. As it turns out I know at least 200 have been made by individuals. I can't stress the importance of someone in the club having a method of correctly setting coils. The buzz box ain't it.

Dedicated tools can be made from other items cheaply. That's the real T way anyhow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:06 pm:

Royce, that tool storage board with tool outlines marked on the background is a great idea, it allows you to see at a glance if a tool is missing or misplaced.

"tool control" is a huge deal in the aerospace industry because some significant accidents and expenses have resulted from misplaced tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

Nice tool board, Royce !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:01 pm:

Jack,unfortunately, Ditto!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:09 pm:

This isn't another post about all my tools that I don't loan.

You might add to your list of tools that you can make easily is an exhaust manifold straightening channel iron fixture. I made one for one of our clubs and then we did a demo at a meeting.

Check the Tulsa and Long Beach sites for more info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

You are right Gene,there are a lot of things you can make yourself to use in maintaing your car. Simple pullers,rear sleeve pullers as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

My dad built the T and Model A tool boards. Two years ago he gave them to me for Christmas. He did a great job designing and building them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:39 pm:

Something like the Autozone tool program might work.
They let you purchase a tool, use it and return it for a refund when your done.
They are not always top quality but they work OK for the average guy.
In this case they could pay the shipping both ways and maybe a slight surcharge to cover incidental costs.

I keep the AZ tool about 50% of the time because it is something I NEED in my tool box to take up space - even if I don't use it again.
Exhaust pipe expanders are a perfect example - When I get one from AZ I can't bring myself to return it because I gotta have it -
(It is most likely because as a teen I struggled with putting old exhaust systems back together and I used old water pipes and hammers to try to get the ridges out of the used exhaust pipes.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:13 pm:

It helps if you are an active member of a local club. A long, long, time ago I was the youngest member of the Dallas T club and Ralph Z lent me T tools all of the time. At first I had to sign for them because he would lend tools to any member in good standing and wanted to keep track of them. In return I have lent T tools to local, and some far out of town, T guys that I have met and built relationships within the hobby. I haven't needed to have anyone sign for them. In the 35 + years I have been involved with T's I have not lost a tool yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:22 pm:

Paul, BINGO! My hats off to you and your group!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:41 pm:

Let's try this.

application/pdfSmoky Ts Tools and things
Smoky Ts Tools and things.pdf (163.4 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 11:51 pm:

I never borrowed a tool from Ralph Zajicek but he lent me a hand many times. I have borrowed a tool or two from Royce's dad and he has bailed me out many times with parts, advice and assistance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:09 am:

Royce:
In the first picture on the far left you have a manifold nut wrench on top, going down you have a valve spring compressor and then some kind of very small black puller. I have one of the small puller and I see many of them on farm sales. Do you know what they are for ? I have never had anyone that could tell me what they are for. I have tried them on all sorts of things and nothing fits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:10 am:

I'd try to get a list together of what would actually be a "one use" tool. I'm sure others will add more but what comes to mind off hand:

Mag gap setter
valve seat cutter
valve guide reamers
king pin reamer
rear wheel puller (more than single use tool) rear bearing sleeve installer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:15 am:

Timing cover alignment tool
Riveting tool
Valve spring compressor
Gear pullers
Trans band changing tool
(I cheated & looked at a catalog).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:27 am:

Another question for Royce. What's that first tool to the right of the #1349 wrench? The thing that resembles the back end of a rear radius rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 07:27 am:

Dave,

I'll have to look at the list this weekend. I don't remember off the top of my head. A couple of the tools are unknown usage, that might be one of them.

Steve,

Its a support for working on a T rear axle with the center supported by an engine stand. That piece bolts on to support the backing plate end of the housing, but does not attach the same way a rear radius rod would. It rests on the engine stand at floor level.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:59 am:

If your worried about tools not coming back or damage, put a hefty deposit fee on them (even equal to the cost of the tool). In the case of tools that need occasional sharpening or repair - put a use fee on them too.

I for one think a national program would be a great idea - but I have no T club within many miles of me.

On many tools a hefty deposit and shipping charges would be a blessing compared to the cost of the tool.

Those of you who are fortunate enough to have a T club nearby, or live close to someone like Dave or Royce, don't realize the problem of needing an expensive tool for a one time use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:08 am:

Dave H. - that is a Ford Bendix drive head part # 5019 puller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 11:25 am:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 03:39 pm:

Even if you had people pay twice the value of the tools as a deposit all the tools would soon be gone and the money would be useless in trying to find replacement tools as good as the ones I currently own. Some of these tools belonged to my grandfather. There's no chance I would ever loan one out to anybody for any price.

Steve is correct, it is the starter bendix puller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 06:52 pm:

It's one thing to get the tool back, but another one altogether to get it back in a timely manner so someone else can use it. Sometimes a guy borrows a tool only to get held up with some other, unforeseen, critical operation that must be done before the tool can be used, and so the borrowed tool sits on the workbench for weeks while he waits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 12:17 pm:

I agree with RV above - not to mention when the tool is damaged beyond use by someone who has no idea how to properly use it. Loaner programs sound good, but would be very hard to run...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 11:16 am:

bump

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration