Wiring a 1919

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Wiring a 1919
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:08 pm:

I am wiring a 1919 originally equipped with a starter/generator. During the rebuild I didn't want to mess with these two pieces and placed block off plates on the engine. So I need to know how to wire everything up. I am not wiring it to have magneto lights and horn. These will remain battery driven. Just a plain Jane but without the two items. Is it as simple as not running a wire to these pieces? Do I bypass the starter? Are there grounding issues. I need some help. I'm comfortable turning a wrench but know very little about electrical. Oh, this car has the cutout on the dash if that makes a difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:29 pm:

Sounds like what you are calling a cut-out on dash is really a dimmer for head lights.If you order the non-starter wiring,you should be ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:30 pm:

Early electrified cars had the cut out on the dash. If I order the non-starter wiring, I think it would connect the headlamps and the horn to the magneto. I suppose I could get a mag horn and change out the headlamp bulbs but I'd like to keep the those items battery operated.
Isn't there someone with knowledge of electrical that can help me out here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:39 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 11:23 pm:

Richard-
If you are using the stock combination horn/headlight switch and you have a magneto horn you have run the headlights off the magneto.

If you are running the lights off the battery, you could put on a battery horn and use the combo switch.

I have a magneto horn on my non-electric 1919, but have the headlights run off a battery. I added a push-pull stitch in the 1915-1917 headlight switch location.

I use the wiring for 1915-1917 cars. It is a 5 wire loom, one wire for the headlights. Otherwise use the 4 wire loom.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 07:47 am:

There was a thread a couple years ago about the unique 1919 wiring harness that Richard needs. I don't have time to search for it today. Perhaps someone else can find it in the closed Forum archives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 07:54 am:

This older thread mainly talks about firewalls, but there is some discussion about wiring harnesses, it mentions Rhode Island Wiring Services as a source for rare or unique harnesses:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/372291.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:10 am:

Here's another thread with wiring info:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/299830.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:27 am:

Thank you all for the informative responses. I will order the correct wire looms from Rhode Island Wire and purchase the 5 terminal block from Langs or Bobs. At that point I will contact those who generously offered to help me through this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:17 am:

I'm with Richard on the electrical stuff, but I wonder if ALL 1919's had the cutout on the firewall, or just some of them? I have two original Ford Script retangular cut outs here, but I don't recall where they are supposed to be mounted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 02:48 pm:

Here are the original ones I found Richard, \popjpeg

Bob{419570,}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 06:09 pm:

Thanks for posting the photos Bob. Unfortunately none of those will work. Here's the imprint left on the firewall of the original. The middle hole is where the former owner installed a 6 terminal block. You can still see a faint imprint of it on the right. Interesting to me the bolt spacing to attach the block to the firewall is wider on the 5 terminal block than the 6 terminal block.
Anyone know what the two small holes below the terminal block are for?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration