Heavy T fender -- getting the lead out

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Heavy T fender -- getting the lead out
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:05 pm:

When I received my original Torpedo / Open Runabout fenders awhile back it was readily apparent one was different from the rest. From the underneath you could see hammered into it a trough, likely filled with lead. Tonight I finally had a little time to work on it.

There was about 5 lbs. all total! The ammo shortage concerns me no more! There are a whole pile of jokes waiting to come of this. As for what possessed someone to make a repair this way, I can only imagine they thought it was necessary to have enough material there to make it bond.... or they were trying to correct a lean to the opposite side:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:06 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:39 pm:

Using lead for body repair was normal. Lead sled could be taken two ways! de:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:17 pm:

I just thought the amount of damage inflicted in order to apply it was rather ironic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:00 pm:

Lead repair = 90% chance it's an original fender or at least a really old one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

I am sorry to inform you but you are now an official Super Fund site that contains a copious amount of hazardous material.
You need to immediately surround the location with yellow tape and not enter it unless protected by a bunny suit.

That tin-lead solder will need to be replaced with the new Tin-Silver-Copper solder that costs about 3 times more.

Here are a couple pictures of approved bunny suits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:24 pm:

Steve, they are original fenders. That's why I bought them. I'd rather have beat-up originals than reproductions when possible.

Fred, if you are aware of the new paint regulations to come down the pike the last couple of years, you are likely more right than you know. I probably have more lead in me than what I removed from that fender today, yet the unelected people who write the new laws (and make no mistake about it -- they are laws) have likely never even opened a paint can.

I know there are some here who frown on detours such as my commentary above but, bah, it's my thread for once!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 06:04 am:

Walter
I am one of those folks that know a bit about regulations because I am still working at 69 years old due to the something called the RoHS directive so nothing surprises me.
A bit over 10 years ago we were told that we had to remove lead from all of our electronic equipment
I was in the right place at the right time and became knowledgable in how to process circuit boards with lead free solder
I wrote a bunch of papers, gave talks at conferences, and still conduct classes mostly in Asia on reflowing lead free solder during the assembly of circuit boards.
I recently wrote the chapter on solder reflow for the soon to be released Surface Mount Technology textbook that will be used for certification

By the way most military and medical devises are exempt from changing to lead free solder for some very good reasons

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 06:50 am:

Walter Hang onto that lead it is getting to be the new precious metal for the "Poor Man" to hoard I have a friend who has an "Auto Recycling Business" the first thing he does is check the new stock for lead wheel weights I couldn't believe how much he got for what we used to throw into the dumpster! BTW the saying used to be cave it and pave it and that is how that fender was repaired

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:28 am:

Wheel weights used to contain Antimony along with Lead. The home bullet casters love the old stock. I think that's why the price has gone up. Along with the "Govment" hording of ammunition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:45 am:

"Cave it and pave it" -- that's interesting. That's a term I've not heard, but is certainly what they did and backs up my belief that it was intentional. Maybe after the screwed up the first fender it occurred to them it might not be the best idea for the rest (thank goodness!).

All the time bullet casters are bugging me for my wheel weights, but I don't do enough volume with tire changes to be useful to them.

Recently a friend put me onto "elevator bricks" that are used as counterweights. Man, those are handy but hard to get. They are about the size of a full size red brick and probably about 50 lbs. The uses for those are endless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 04:58 pm:

Fred, That group in bunny suits looks like my dentist and his staff when they removed an old mercury filling I had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 05:04 pm:

Walter,
I hope the torpedo turns out as nice as the Autocar! I look forward to seeing it some day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 05:54 pm:

Walter, I have plenty of lead if you decide you need it for any other body work. Lead vs. bondo is no contest. When those environmental idiots took the lead out of solder I rounded up over 100 pounds of the good stuff and I'm not afraid to use it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 06:11 pm:

You can still buy body lead from Eastmans.
I have a bunch of bars I bought 20 years ago when fixing my old Porsche 356. I just checked and they still sell it. Bondo is much easier to use and the modern stuff probably lasts as long as the lead.
As to the Govment hording ammunition. I tried buying some 9mm for my pistol a few years ago when I lived in Missouri and the gun dealer said that the problem was that the paranoid gun owners were buying it up as fast as he could restock. I would guess that there are a lot of basements around the country just full of ammunition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:03 am:

Hi Mike! Thanks for the compliment. I look forward to seeing it some day, too! This all started with a pair of Jno. Brown 19's that I bought at Petit Jean about 15 years ago. It's inching closer to assembly.

Val, more than solder we should have hoarded paint before the lead was taken out of it. We had to spray a job orange this summer and the coverage was horrible, attributable to the lead having been removed. Akin to low flow toilets you have to flush multiple times, for certain colors you now have to use about twice as much to achieve the same result.

John, the ammo issue goes both ways with both the public and government hoarding it. It's not so much that people are being paranoid, but rather they are simply listening to their government speak and then reacting. Last year the government announced it was buying something in the neighborhood of a couple of billion rounds over the next few years. That alone is enough to motivate buyers for a few different reasons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:36 am:

I had to balance a demountable rim this week after I put on a new tire, it was out 166 gms.

I purchased stick on weights to put inside the steel felloe, they are not lead but steel???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 06:28 pm:

Walter do you know how to SHRINK that metal using an acet/oxy torch? It'll take you quite a while but worth it!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration