Ford Oil Can

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ford Oil Can
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:41 am:

I just picked up this really nice Noera made Ford oil can. I understand they were originally plated with copper, and I can still see traces of the copper on it. I think I would like to have it re-plated, but I'm not sure where to take it. Any suggestions?Noera Oil Can

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:52 am:

Bill, Looks good just the way it is to me with it showing it's age an all.

BTW. That's a nice quarter sawn table top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:04 am:

Thanks, Jay! I re-finished the round kitchen table about twelve years ago, but it's now starting to show it's age. I've thought about re-finishing it again but I kind of like the way it looks - used and loved! I love restoring and using antiques and have furnished my home with several nice pieces I've picked up through out the years. My all time favorite type of wood is absolutely oak, especially the quarter sawn oak. I takes the stain so nicely and really pops!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:23 pm:

I'm with Jay. Unless you repair/restore it first, new plating over dents, pitting and scratches will just make it look bad. Better to just leave it as is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:02 pm:

Another option I failed to mention was that you could go ahead and have it plated as is but then give it a brown-heavy OD patina (chemical). After that, over-coat with a satin clear. This retains it's "character" and you'll get some protection for the bare metal for years to come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:07 pm:

Bill,

Any chrome plating shop can do copper. Trouble is, many shops are expensive and the ones that aren't also don't do nice work.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration