Rebuild cam choice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Rebuild cam choice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:54 am:

I realize the best way to go would be to get a new Stipe cam, but what is the downside to one of the regrinds all of the parts sellers offer?. Which is the best choice for a cam gear? Aluminum? Nylon? Bronze?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:39 am:

I once had an unhappy experience with a nylon timing gear, so I'd go with bronze or original Ford. Others will say any of those is good. And some will say nylon because it's quiet. Yeah, it gets REAL quiet when it fails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:44 am:

The major downside to any regrind is you have to buy adjustable tappets. That is $80 more if you don't already have them installed. Also it is a good idea to build a thrust washer to remove end play when you use a regrind. 26-7 cam cores are less prone to having an end play catastrophe, but even when you have to buy cam and tappets it is still less expensive than a Stipe. I don't know why a regrind isn't considered as good a choice as a stipe. I have used a nylon gear and love it. I run a radical cam profile and haven't had any problems. I have seen the nylon gears fail. I have also ran aluminum and like them, but I dislike the noise they make. I also have had an aluminum gear fail. If you purchase a radical cam profile stay away from the cast aluminum cam gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:57 am:

I'm exploring my options. I have a tired '27 engine in my '21 I put in because it runs. I have not a clue what I will find when I open the '21 engine I have, expect to get into it this spring. Between the 2 engines I do expect one will get a total rebuild in the next year or so, aluminum pistons, some kind of cam, and all of the other paraphernalia it will require to be dependable and fun on local tours. I want to be able to drive the car 100 miles in a day, and have a little extra performance to keep up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:06 pm:

I am running a cam reground by Norfleet in Dallas. It performs well. Their price to regrind a cam was about $20 ten years ago, likely a touch higher now.

Why don't you give them a call?

Norfleet Machine,
8323 Hoyle Ave, Dallas, TX 75227
(214) 381-1177

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:57 pm:

There are some really bad grinds out there.

The cam is the lungs of your engine.

Save up your money and get a Stipe.

There is a difference between something running good, and something running the best for the dollar difference!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 02:08 pm:

Steve - I thought your 'bad experience" was with a fiber timing gear,......??? I remember that one because of the great photos you posted. So, you had a bad experience with a fiber gear "AND" and nylon gear? I never heard about the nylon gear problem you had. (???) I always thought the nylon was not as tough as any metal gear (aluminum, bronze or steel) but much better than a fiber gear. Just wondering,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 02:25 pm:

The nylon adventure was with a Suburban. It died on I-25 in Colorado. Quite a mess with plenty of damage. Spent a week in Trinidad waiting for parts and repairs.

Nobody has mentioned the generator here. That's a source of strain and wear on the gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 04:00 pm:

I had Joe Bell rebuild my engine a couple of years ago with a Stipe 280. It is in 27 tudor with a holly vaperizor and I have run 47mph with this car. I think that's good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 05:42 pm:

I like the 280 but if your going to make it breath a little better with the B exhaust and A carb the 290 really turns it on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 05:48 pm:

Check out the Carnegie Brothers, Ford 'n Moore, Spokane, WA. http://www.antiqueautoranch.com/fordnmore/

They know how to regrind and advance a camshaft so the T can both pull uphill and run good on the flat. Read this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/242215.html?1320565384
and look at Tom Carnegie's car pulling a hill here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX45_9PGRzw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:12 pm:

Whew! I just read through that 2011 cam discussion from the link above, and I'm worn out! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:26 pm:

Check out the Tulsa Chapter's website on Cams .....

http://mtfctulsa.com/Cams/index.htm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration