WHATZIT 2

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: WHATZIT 2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:36 pm:

I picked this whatzit up at a swap meet. Its a fairly handy tool and works well.

The top picture is a shot of the side. The bottom picture was taken from the top.

press 1

press 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:39 pm:

Once again I got the pink finger, oh well I will try again.

press 1

press 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:56 pm:

here is a whatzit I havet toolt tool 2t tool 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:03 pm:

Dave, your item is a press for staking terminals to the end of battery cables and the like. Place the wire with the terminal in the anvil and strike with a hammer. A very handy tool.
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:07 pm:

Lee, you are very close but not there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:09 pm:

Donnie Brown:

I have never seen that tool, it looks close to one that have for reaming out King Pin Bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:09 pm:

Donnie Brown:

I have never seen that tool, it looks close to one that have for reaming out King Pin Bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:10 pm:

Dave,It looks like a cable/wire rope cutter?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:11 pm:

Dave ... You are on the right end of the car. Ill wait a little bit before I say what it is ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:44 pm:

Bud, that's the same thing I was thinking, but it is made a bit different than the ones I have used, and the bit is different. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 02:08 pm:

Dave,
Is it for crimping speedometer cables to the end shafts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 04:42 pm:

Hi Donnie. I know what it is. Its not just for the front though - it does the rears too!

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 05:02 pm:

William J. Parkinson
Rochester, New York
Bushing Press
Patent number: 1704442
Filing date: Apr 3, 1924
Issue date: Mar 5, 1929
http://tinyurl.com/l4f5euj

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 05:45 pm:

Dave's item is a speedometer cable crimper. One side will stake the different ends and the small side will make the cable end square.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 07:22 pm:

Kenny is correct. I have one from Dad's shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 07:23 pm:

Cool! So i'm guessing you heat the cable? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 07:39 pm:

Bud, Kenny is correct, I don't know about heating the cable, it might work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 07:54 pm:

No heat, just give it a whack. Sometimes you have to turn the cable 1/4 turn and repeat, to make a good square end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:30 pm:

Andrew: well what is it... Ill post tomorrow if no one gets it .... You are right about front and rear ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:36 pm:

Looks like I missed "Arts" post above. My whatzit is a shackle bushing press for installing and removing shackle bushings (front and rear) and will also do spindle arm bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 06:49 am:

Bud, I'd heat the cable end to melt the strands together to keep them from unraveling and then square it off. Heat on the other part of the cable wasn't needed. I forget to mention that there is also a cable cutter that is visible on the right side of the dies of the top picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 09:15 am:

Kenny;
I've used one of those several times back in the early 60's and never heated the cable end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 07:33 pm:

Kenny,We had tongs with several different sizes before we had a cable cutter.A little tape,a swat,and both ends are good now.Bud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 10:24 pm:

I bought a box at the big Chickasha Swap Meet that was held long before anyone started the pre 45 meet. The box had hundred of parts for one item and these tools were in the box. It took me a long time to find how to use the tools but once I did I used them a lot. There is at least one guy one forum that know how to use them.

picture 1

picture 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 01:14 pm:

No One would hazard a guess on the items above. They are tools to work on a Bendix counter weight. The square tool in the center goes in the vice. That holds the counter weight while the tool on the right mashes the points in the counter weight.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 01:27 pm:

This WHATZIT must have been very common in our area. They are common at farm sales and swap meets. They are worthless wall hangers in this day and age. They must have been used a lot back in T days. You can see from the ruler they are very small and will fit in the palm of your hand.

valve tool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 01:43 pm:

I am not sure what the original use for this whatzit is, maybe someone on the Forum will know. I use it a lot.

hub cap wrench

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 01:51 pm:

I am not sure what the ERA would be. I am sure that many shops had this tool at one time.

battery tool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 01:53 pm:

I am not sure what the ERA would be. I am sure that many shops had this tool at one time.

battery tool

Battery tool 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 02:00 pm:

I don't think the pictures above of the whatzit are very good so I will try another.

battery tool 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 03:39 pm:

I didn't get any response on these watzits so I will explain. Again I think these represent the most worthless of many worthless items manufactured for Model Ts. They are supports to keep the motor from vibrating from side to side. Both ends have a V. You put one end against the top of the frame and the other end goes against. the block. You then lock them in place with the nuts

supports

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 12:42 pm:

The small tool that I said was useless today is a valve seating tool. The reason I say the tool is useless today is that no valves that I know of today has the two holes in the top to fit this valve seating tool.

valve seating tool

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration