Computer cleaning program

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Computer cleaning program
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:05 pm:

Someone sent me a post on cleaning out junk from a computer and now I can not find it. Please send again. I get so tired of the pink finger removing my pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 02:11 pm:

try CCleaner. Can get a free copy at Hippo.com. I have used the free copy to clean my online files for years. When you go to hippo, look for CCLeaner and select not the newest verson because you won't get it free. Select an older verson and get free download.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 02:23 pm:

Please download software from the authors website. Some of the others in different locations have been hacked and can cause the very problem you are trying to get rid of.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 02:24 pm:

I have used Advanced SystemCare 7 Pro for many years, and I am very pleased with the product,(The paid for version)and re-up it each year. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Here's the link
http://www.iobit.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 02:27 pm:

WHAT DOUG SAYS!! Know the source of the software your downloading of suffer the consequences!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 03:07 pm:

Actually you probably don't need to download anything. For starters hit your START icon and select COMPUTER on the right choices in the box. Then go to INTERNET OPTIONS. Click on DELETE HISTORY and UNCHECK the BOX at the top where it says "preserve websites cookies". Hit OK and let it do it's thing.

Next go back and hit the start icon if need be and click on DISC CLEANUP. Then keep clicking on the choices until it runs through its cleaning.

Once that is done go to DISK FRAGMENT. Click when it asks and let it do it's thing. MAy take a while.

If you have virus and malware issues, I highly recommend F-SECURE subscription download. It's cheap ($45/yr.) and stops everything cold. Best stuff I have ever used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 03:09 pm:

OOPS! Should have read "disc defragment".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 04:41 pm:

Also, be sure to delete everything in your Windows Prefetch folder. If you've never done that, you will probably see a noticeable difference in performance. And yes what Kevin said too.

However, neither of these suggestions will fix registry errors which also slows stuff down. And if you've ever DLd and/or deleted stuff from your computer you will have them.

My favorite cleaner is Iolo's System Mechanic. You can DL a full functioning demo for free and it will work for 30 days after you activate it.

I DL'd and used it the first time several years ago after I read several exceptional reviews of the product. I was never disappointed.

You can DL the free version here:

http://www.iolo.com/downloads/download-system-mechanic-pro/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 04:45 pm:

As for ongoing protection and 100% free and very effective, I use Windows Security Essentials and Spybots Search and Destroy.

I am a power surfer. I run an international web site (www.LiquorList.com), game profusely, watch movies, communicate and so much more nightly and have never had so much as a bump in the internet road using those two free programs.

On a side note, I run 3ea 24 inch monitors and 1ea 42 inch monitor in my computer room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 04:49 pm:

Correction - That should read "Microsoft Security Essentials".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 07:15 pm:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Down load the free version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 07:21 pm:

Or you could just run LINUX like me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 07:27 pm:

Thanks Gang: Something should work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 07:28 am:

Dave one more thing that I noticed was absent from this thread. You may also need to clean out the macromedia "saved files" there version of cookies. To clean out their files bring up any video but do not play it, pause it if necessary. Right click on the view window and click on global settings go to storage then go to local storage settings by site and delete them all then reboot your machine. I do this about once a month for macromedia because there is a weakness that allows hackers with older flash players to send you a virus.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration