OT Selden Patent Suit need list of licensed manufactures

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT Selden Patent Suit need list of licensed manufactures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 02:13 pm:

I have a 1908 Reliable Dayton Highwheeler. I was recently contacted by another Reliable Dayton owner. His 1907 car has a Selden Plate on it. I have researched these cars as best I can and have never seen any Selden plates on the few remaining cars. I would like to know if there is a list of all the licensed manufactures to the A.L.A.M. association. Since the suit was won by Henry in Jan 10 1911, The Reliable Daytons are from the correct time period for the Selden Plates .... Thanks ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

Donnie
I cannot answer your specific question, but I can direct you to a reference which is the definitive treatise on the Selden patent and the titanic struggle between Ford, Panhard and the ALAM. The book "Monopoly on Wheels" is this story in great detail. There is a passing reference to Reliable Dayton vehicles on page 104 and the book includes a huge body of references that may help you if you wish to further research your question.
Prior to his death Bruce McCalley prepared an electronic copy of this book that was then out of print. If you email me modeltcoils@windstream.net I can send you a copy.
Ron (the Coilman) Patterson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 03:38 pm:

This is listing of at least the gas cars licensed that were showing at the 9th ALAM show. Reliable Dayton isn't listed as showing in 1909, but they may have been licensed.

Jan. 6, 1909, The Horseless Age

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 06:42 pm:

Here is an original Sheldon Paton plate for sale on E-Bay. Mark
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-ORIGINAL-Brass-George-Selden-1895-PATENT-Tag-212 388-Horseless-Carriage-/380712477244?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash =item58a43b623c

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 07:27 pm:

Just a word of caution, I am told there are many reproduction Selden License badges out there.
Someone will tell us how to recognize the real thing??
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:28 pm:

There are lots of little details that are different between originals and reproductions. The line-weight of the letters on an original are heavier, the loop of the "5" kicks up, the outer lines on the "M" aren't 90-degrees vertical. Also, quite often reproductions aren't stamped with a number.

After you've had a chance to compare them a few times it becomes readily apparent. The reproduction has a cheaper look to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

Thanks for the info. I do not believe I need the e-bay plate. For 800.00 it better be solid gold for me to even think about it. My main interest is to see if I even need one. If I do a repro is probably what it will get. (unless I find one in a box of junk at Chickashea)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:08 pm:

If anyone is interested there is a pretty good write up of the Selden Patent issue at:
http://www.kcstudio.com/selden.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:09 pm:

This is from 1911

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:12 pm:

I can't find any articles saying The Reliable Dayton was a member of the A.L.A.M. Often times a company's advertising will say "A.L.A.M. member, and the few RD ads I looked at didn't say that.

January 1909

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 09:31 am:

I have not found any mention of them belonging to the A.L.A.M. I have about 30 different ads in my Reliable Dayton info and none of them list it as a A.L.A.M. member. The car with the Selden plate was supposed to have been restored and displayed in a museum in the 50s. I think the plate was added at that time. The company went into receivership in 1909. and were only produced from 06 to 09 with more than likely only a prototype made in 1906. Being a highwheeler carriage style auto, they may have thought themselves exempt from the suit. Since they were such a short lived auto they probably had more to worry about than the Selden problem. My car is like the type E runabout, top left pic on each ad. Thanks for the help, Im still of the opinion that the Reliable Dayton Motor Cars were not part of the A.L.A.M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 09:48 am:

This is the ALAM listing in the 1908 Handbook of Gasoline Automobiles. No mention of Reliable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 11:10 am:

Adding a Selden plate - genuine or reproduction - to cars was something that collectors did years ago in the early days of the antique automobile hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Ronning on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 05:16 pm:

Does anyone have a listing of the numbers on the tag? what years and what cars were they put on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 06:47 pm:

Tom Reese of Mound MN has such a list, both years and makes. His list was compiled from existing tags on existing autos. I will see if I can get a copy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Ronning on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:22 pm:

This is the one I have #67922. Is it original or repo. also what year and make of car was it on? I was going to put it on my model 10 Buick. selden plate

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration