Is this the correct colors for a 27 coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Is this the correct colors for a 27 coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Davis on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

This is my first model T, I need help, is this the correct colors for 27 coupe? I have read that there were 4 different greens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve miller- mississauga,ontario on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:31 pm:

Welcome James,
This item comes up for discussion OFTEN. And will still do not know the right answer.
At the top of this page is a keyword search.
"color" and "paint" will refer you to http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/411789.html And many more
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:43 pm:

From the encyclopedia:

"BEAUTIFUL color tones in satin finish now enhance the graceful body lines of Ford cars. Optional color for both open and enclosed body types is made possible through the use of Pyroxylin, a new development which adds to both appearance and durability of finish.
Enclosed cars are available in a choice of three pleasing colors : gray, maroon and green, while a choice of either blue or brown is obtainable for the Runabout and Touring car. Color striping accentuates each body color.
As with all other Ford car improvements the new color options are available without additional cost."

I think the colors on your coupe are more John Deere than Ford. There are considerable differences among the guesses people make about the correct green, but I believe this one comes pretty close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

James,
I think it looks good! If you like it, enjoy it. I'm not up on the "new" T's, but I think there was only one green for T's. I think that the Model A's had several different shades of green. There are other T's in your area. Bud Holzschuh has a red 1915 touring and lives in PC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:18 pm:

James,

Welcome aboard. You have a nice looking Coupe there. According to the MTFCI Judging Guidelines 6th edition, the 1927 coupes (and also Fordor and Tudor) came in Fawn Gray, Highland Green, or Royal Maroon. The only other Green listed for 1927 was for the Pickup truck -- Ford Commercial Green.

The 1926 Coupes were listed as Channel Green. [Note the current judging guide is available from the chief judge see the posting at: http://modelt.org/discus/messages/2/33968.html ]

Those colors are also mentioned by Bruce McCalley at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1926-27H.htm

At: http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?year=1927&manuf=Ford&rows=50 they have a color chip chart (which on a computer may vary from display to display? I’m not sure?) And it does have a chip for Highland Green.

Another paint chip for Highland Green see: http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1926-Ford-pg01.jpg

But the link http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/411789.html that Steve Miller posted has a great discussion about the Highland Green and the 1927 closed cars.

Also paint formulas but NOT chips at: http://modelt.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21:paint-colors&c atid=26:paint&Itemid=88

Dan Treace commented on a thread about 1927 coupes: The paint colors for '27 were lacquer, (Pyroxylin ) and Ford didn't have paint chips or codes, so you kinda have to look at other restored Ts and get an idea of the color. The '27 green is called "Highland Green" There are vendors that sell paint ready to match the T and are accepted in judging today (Macs Ant Auto Parts, or Bill Hirsh, etc) ref: http://modelt.org/discus/messages/2/23159.html?1283286767

A few photos of restored 1927 coupes: http://www.mtfca.com/gallery/photos/macchi.jpg

http://www.mtfca.com/gallery/photos/Stuckey-L.jpg

http://www.mtfca.com/gallery/photos/klehfoth2.jpg

1927 Fordor: http://www.mtfca.com/gallery/photos/Roberts-L.jpg
I tried to find a color photo of a 1927 Coupe, Tudor,

I agree with Steve Jelf, that your coupe appears to be painted more “John Deere” green and yellow than the Highland Green I’ve seen. I believe you could easily tone that down just by adding black wheels rather than the “John Deere” yellow wheels.

Note the car drives and is just as much fun regardless of what color it is. Well some folks think red makes it go faster but I’m still not sure about that one.

Since this is your first T you will have lots of time to figure out what you want to do with it as far as paint, etc. If you haven’t read one of the “safety postings” please see the list of items you do NOT want to learn first hand but that you want to read about and avoid. They are listed on a recent thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/411927.html .

Related item – Bruce McCalley’s book or CD is an excellent source of information about the cars. And Steve Jelf’s recommend books are also on that same safety thread I just posted.

Again welcome to the forum and the hobby! Looks like you have a nice car to work with and enjoy. Recommend you check out the local Model T clubs near you. They can be a great help and encouragement.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Davis on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

That's funny I ask the lady's son that I got the car from if it was john Deere green and he was not sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:42 pm:

If you look at the pic of the 27 coupe in my profile, I was told by the previous owner that he had painted it the original color back in the late 60s. He was the second owner and his father in law was the first so I'm hoping that's fairly accurate but who knows for sure.

Beautiful car, BTW!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Davis on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:54 pm:

Thanks Hap! And with that, I have not found any clubs on the net, so if any body out there in Panama City FL know of any please let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:08 pm:

I don't know Florida geography, but you can check these and see if any are close to you.

http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm#fl

http://modelt.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=15#FL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:13 pm:

The Northwest Florida Model A and T Club is chartered with the MTFCI. They normally meet at the Golden Corral in Ft Walton Beach, The 3rd Tues of each month--eat at 6, meet at 7PM. Occasionally they meet in DeFuniak Springs. I can provide you contacts if you send me a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:49 pm:

I'm surprised no one has references this. http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/P-R.htm The late model colors are also listed if you go fare enough into the document. The paint codes can be replicated by shops that color by the numbers. For example, Windsor Maroon:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:23 pm:

The truth is no one alive knows what the true improved Model colors are. We know one of the 26 colors was Channel Green, but we really don't know what shade of green that really is. Maybe the MTFCI judges have reached a conclusion as what the colors really were, but nobody really knows. Even the cars with original paints have oxidized or weathered or both over the years.

You have a very nice green coupe. Drive it and let the paint connoisseurs worry about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:34 pm:

As I remember they were just a very little darker than the coupe pictured, and not as glossy, but certainly not as dark as the tudor in the picture below it.
I remember two of the Improved Ford coupes that were green.
The wheels are also too yellow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:34 pm:

I have seen some improved model T green cars in the 50's and 60's, none were as dark as those shown in these postings. I do remember Model A trucks with the dark green and black fenders. As I said, its a nice car, drive it and don't fret over the shades of green.

There's nothing wrong with John Deere green but there at least 2 shades of John Deere green, probably more. The current John Deere green has a touch more yellow than the earlier models.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:16 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 07:23 am:

James,
LOok at the bright side--you can go to your local CARQUEST and buy premixed JD yellow or green , for touchup, right off the shelf for cheap, and its durable. That's what I did a few years ago. Notice how my car matches your wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 07:44 am:

At least an effort was made to create the factory colour scheme. Good enough I say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 07:54 am:

Here is a picture of an original paint '26/27 coupe Dan Treace posted in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/243999.html?1319810296

original paint coupe

The paint may be oxidized but not very faded since the inside of the trunk has been protected from the sun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 07:54 am:

I have a 1927 coupe (built in October 1926) that has been disassembled since the 1950s. I acquired it in 1988. The car had been brush-painted in black at some point.

When I removed the gas tank, I found what appears to be original paint – a very dark green – which had been concealed and protected by the support straps. The color most closely resembles the Tudor Sedan in Steve Jelf’s post.

Ultimately, I plan to duplicate that color when I repaint the car; however, I’m a long way from that stage of the restoration process.

In any case, I offer this information in the hope it contributes, in some small way, to the Forum’s historical documentation efforts.

Jeff Rhoads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 08:03 am:

I've always wondered how much the shades of paint varied with differing vendors in the day. Quality control wasn't always consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer. I have never see a '27 coupe that's a survivor, but I have had the opportunity to see two '26 survivors in the original Channel Green paint. The exteriors were badly weathered, but there were traces of the original paint in protected areas. With that being said, I am not sure if the original paint had oxidized some and darkened with age, but both cars paint looked identical to my eye. For the most part the original paint I did see looked almost black, unless you got the light on it just right and then you could it was a dark, dark green.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 08:39 am:

James I have to say you have a nice looking T!
I wouldn't lose any sleep or worry about trying to please everybody else about they "think" about what color it should or shouldn't be.
You will never please anybody. It wont happen.

When you come to the point when you think you've got your car "right" after much time work and research self appointed inspectors will appear and tell you there are some "issues".

Model T ownership is not an exact science. If you can get your car 90-95% of what it was when it left the factory that is as close as you will ever get it!
Drive and have fun with your new T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve miller- mississauga,ontario on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 09:47 am:

James
There is the answer to your question.ha-ha
It may come down to something as simple as who mixed the paint the day your car was built and at what factory.

Steve Jelf started a thread recently on the different colours of black. It was funny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Davis on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 11:35 am:

Thanks for all the input!!! I've got a to learn!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 01:04 pm:

James,

Do you know any of the history of that car? I'm almost certain that I worked on that car for a local guy in Grosse Pointe, MI. His name was Cal Worrel. He is now deceased but I believe the car went to his son. If it is the same car, it's not the correct green. (and if it isn't, it's probably still the wrong color)

Anyway, if that's the car I believe it is, I can give you a small bit of service history on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Davis on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 08:36 pm:

Jerry, I have no history I can ask the lady I got it from, her husband has memory loss so that may not help. Is there any thing that you remember that might help identify if is the car you think it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 10:54 pm:

That looks like a perfect example of Kewanee Green (modern Ditzler name) or channel green (old original name). I would not change a thing. It is a beautiful auto and have fun with it.
All the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 10:59 pm:

James David:

Your coupe looks supper nice.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Fretschl Oshkosh Wi on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 10:53 am:

Looks like the color that's on my 27

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 04:57 pm:

James,

I can't think of any one defining thing, just the combination of that color, the straw colored wheels and those older tires with a tread pattern no longer available.

I also recall that it had an AC speedometer on it with a stripped drive gear down by the wheel.

If this is the same car, it had a hot plate vaporizer on it that was in terrible shape so my dad put an NH carb set-up on it.

The owner then let the car go through the winter with water in the radiator. It froze and cracked the head. The radiator & block were o.k., lucky. Dad replaced the head.

The old fellow who owned the car asked my dad to help his son load it on a trailer to take it away, (to Wisc. I believe). The son was one of those know-it-alls, who knew nothing and so told my dad to basically get lost. Dad hung around long enough to watch the son completely burn up the low band and probably shatter the low drum trying to get it up the trailer ramps. "Priceless" as they say.

Other than being mishandled somewhat, it was a very solid car, never rusted, mostly original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Davis on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 11:03 pm:

Jerry,

It does not have a speedometer and it still has a Holley vaporizer carb on it. I've not got in touch with the previous owner yet but I don't think it's the same unless someone made the changes your talking about. If it is the same car I would be curious how it wound up here in Florida.

If these car could talk what a story they would tell!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration