Old Photo - Early Brass Era Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Early Brass Era Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:32 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 06:36 am:

Jay,

Thanks for posting. Ford Model S Runabout with recorded sales and shipments from Ford of mid-Aug 1907 to the end of Sep 1908 [and probably a few left over models sold later].

It has the factory running boards and fenders that were used on both the 1907 Model R Runabout and the Model S Runabout [but not the N Runabout or the S-Roadster]. But the pointed deck makes it a Model S Runabout rather than a Model R Runabout. [And the running boards mean it is not a Model N Runabout -- as those are the factory running boards & fenders and do not appear to have been added by the owner.] You can also see that the chassis is the lighter cream color which was the color combination announced by Ford to help distinguish the Model S from the Model R that was often painted all dark green. The Model S and Model N except for the early 1906 Model Ns both had 28 x 3 wheels all around and tires while the Model R Runabout and S-Roadster used 30 x 3 wheels and tires all around.

Again, thank you for posting it. And of course if you or anyone else runs across a higher resolution photo we would like to obtain a copy to help document the paint scheme.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 08:54 am:

Also note that the tires are not white -- red or tan maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 09:28 am:

As for the tires, it is my understanding that the natural color of the rubber used to manufacture tires for early automobiles was more gray than white.

The rubber compound used in manufacturing the white tires we see today has been treated with a bleaching process.

Maybe others that are closer to the tire manufacturing process than me can correct me if my understanding is in error, and or enlighten us further.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 09:47 am:

are the headlights and forks correct for that car, or aftermarket item?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 10:21 am:

Looks exactly like my 1908 Model S runabout--except for the lights. Paul

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration