Side curtains

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Side curtains
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 04:59 pm:

Has anyone had side curtains made by Elizabeth at Classtique, and if so, what did it cost (I have a '16 Touring)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 05:22 pm:

I had a set of custom (larger windows) side curtains made by Classtique for my 1923 touring / pickup conversion, I'm very pleased with them.

side01

Unfortunately, I did not save the receipt, so I don't know what I paid for them, but I remember thinking that the price was very reasonable.

You can call them or email them describing what you have, they'll be happy to give you a quote.

http://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/

The driver's side curtain for my car needed a some extra custom work because I wanted some cutouts to clear my side mirror and spare tire carrier. I also wanted a larger window. So, I sent them a rough sketch with dimensions. The curtain they made from the sketch fits and works perfectly.

sketch01

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 06:31 pm:

Be aware that the side curtains will come with only half of the fasteners you need (the half that fit on the curtains themselves). You will have to buy the other half of the fasteners (the half that fit onto the body and top irons) from one of the Model T vendors.

The diagram below is for a 1923-25 touring, but it gives you a general idea of where the fasteners go. Maybe someone else on the forum has a similar diagram they can post for a 1916 touring?

top01

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 08:39 am:

One other thing I just remembered - since my car did not have any side curtain fasteners installed when I got it, I elected to install the fasteners on both the body and side curtains myself.

If your car already has side curtain fasteners installed, I suggest you talk to Elizabeth about how best to communicate their locations (paper patterns?) to Classtique so that they can install the fasteners on the curtains to match.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:34 am:

Very nice diagram, but I'm wondering about the four common sense eyelets you show for the back top socket. On my roadster, which is a '25, they used plain round eyelets there, which are still available at trim supplies. Another thing for us purists, I managed to reuse the original Anzo fasteners on that top socket. I have a pile of original Ford side curtains, as well as the original Ford prints, so I know I got it right for a roadster. Another thing is many of the top shops are not using the correct binding around the windows, which is 5/8", not 3/4". I don't know what Elizabeth is using, but she definitely does a better job than anyone. I may have some of the 5/8 binding made up soon if there is any interest, but from what I've seen, not that many people really care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:36 am:

I forgot to attach a photo of the side curtains I made for my '25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 11:39 am:

Larry, I think you're right about the diagram - I think I got it from the Mac's website. On the rear of my curtains, I installed three "lift the dot" fasteners at the rear that snap onto the corresponding pegs of the rear top bow. After the rear curtain fasteners are snapped on, you then slide them all the way onto the pegs so that you can re-snap the top rear curtain "lift the dot" fasteners onto the pegs.

If I recall, Elizabeth marked the suggested type and locations of the fasteners with chalk on my curtains as a guide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 09:20 pm:

Bill,
I called Classtique last summer and they said it would take several weeks and gave me a price about double MAC's. MAC's had a set in stock for my 15. I had them in a week. I had to install most of the fasteners, which was fine--it wasn't difficult, and they're in the place they need to be for "MY" car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Micheal Crowe on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:00 pm:

We made our own Side curtains for our 1927 Touring Car. It wasn't hard to do and the fasteners went in just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Baker on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 06:00 am:

Not to change the subject, I need help with a set of curtains for a late 1930 Model A Roadster pickup, any one have some drawings or pictures?
I am not sure about the fasteners, and how it attaches to the side top bows frame , any help will be appreciated.
I am sure to get it to fit , I need some measurements from our pickup, as no two are probably the same to the 1/8". Elisabeth has offered to make them if I can provide the correct pattern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 07:16 am:

Question on the diagram which looks like the
passenger side. OK so when you get in, how
in the world do you snap the fasteners?
Thats why I sewed a zipper
just wondering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 07:26 am:

There is a flap under the "notch" of the clear area of the side curtain that is sewn to the curtain at the front and top edges. The rear and bottom edges of the flap are not sewn, allowing you to stick your hand out through the flap from inside the car and twist the bottom two "common sense" fasteners that attach the rear of the front curtain to the body and the rear curtain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlesHebert on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 08:30 am:

I know some people who have used boat upholsterers to make their side curtains since they make the same for boats to be stored during the winter. Custom and often cheaper...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 10:35 am:

Sam: Some of the fasteners face the inside of the car, so you can twist them after you get in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 11:18 am:

Yup, I just got a sample packet in the mail from Classtique and they want $795 for touring side curtains. I believe Langs/Mac's is about $365 cheaper from what I see in the catalogs. Can anyone tell me if the 1916 still used brass Murphy fasteners on the side curtains or nickel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 12:36 pm:

This is one of the times that you will get what you pay for. The difference is that the ones from Classtique will actually fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 03:14 pm:

Here is the fit for the 1915-22 cars without electrical equipment:

Or you can make 'em with large windows and zippers like mine:

: ^ )

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration