Old Photo - Non Ford - The Auto Log, Giant Forest

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Non Ford - The Auto Log, Giant Forest
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 09:44 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 09:51 am:

Amassing!

Two Dodges lumbering along in the forest.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:16 am:

Richard, They were tree'd by a FORD!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:29 am:

Another notable big tree with a Dodge, driven by K. B. Jelf himself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:32 am:

Steve, Without that tunnel he would have had to "Dodge" that tree!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:44 am:

A bunch of comedians ..... but no joking we were at that tree when we went on vacation last year. What is not seen is that the other side of that tree is at ground level and is a parking lot and road. With the tree laying on a hillside it took very little fill to make it level. We have some pics somewhere of my grandparents car in the 40s parked on the "Auto Log". They do not allow you to drive on it anymore. Some idiot probably drove off it and hurt himself and sued the park service for damages .... I also remember driving through the tree tunnel in the 60s as a kid. I think that tree fell over so its not there anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 05:52 pm:

Here's me cruising through the "Chandler" Tree several years ago on our way home from a road trip with a stop to see our friend Jay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 05:59 pm:

It's just amazing how huge those trees are, and I've never actually seen them. But they're on my bucket list! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 08:40 pm:

Steve: Where is that tree at.? The one I remember was either at Sequoia Natl. Park or Yosemite Natl. Park. I cant remember. We did not look for it when we were there last year. I thought I heard about it falling over several years ago, but I could be mistaken. Mike, You are right about it being a bucket list item. They are more impressive in person. My grandparents went to Yosemite in the 30s. Grandpa told of the road that went into the valley was so narrow, with sheer drop offs. He said there was a cable anchored into the side of the mountain. He said you had chains on the cable you hooked to the front and rear of the car. They were to keep you from falling off the cliff. When you got to an anchor for the cable you had to unhook one chain and re-hook it on the other side of the anchor and then do it again for the rear. He said you repeated that till you got to a safe area again and could drive without the safety cable. It had to be a very interesting (and hard) time.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 08:58 pm:

67402 Drive Thru Tree Road, Leggett, CA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:03 pm:

They are amazing trees. My wife and I grew up in that country and after college graduation left for Alaska. We drove through there recently. It was good to see and drive through the trees again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:04 pm:

It was heading up the California coast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 11:13 pm:

Mike W, my wife Rose has always said we should have a T tour there. Maybe WE could organize one!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 11:18 pm:

There are currently four drive-through trees. Three of them are coast redwoods, all private tourist attractions. The Chandelier Tree is one of those. There's also a dead Sequoia in Yosemite with a drive-through. The most famous one, the Wawona Tree, also in Yosemite, is the Sequoia my dad's driving through in the picture above. It was tunneled in 1888 as a tourist attraction and fell down in 1969 under a heavy snow. In Sequoia National Park there's a fallen Sequoia log with an eight-foot drive through tunnel cut through it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 11:26 pm:

I think the Wawona tree is the one I remember. We were camping in Yosemite and I remember going thru a tunnel tree while we were there. But we also went to Sequoia Park that same trip. We moved from California in 1966 when I was in the 4th grade, so the Wawona was still standing then ... I did not know there were that many different tunnel trees ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 12:30 am:

This is the only one we found to drive the Kamper through that was high enough 9 the Kamper is 7'3" high. Its a private tree, can't remember the name?

tree01

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 10:33 am:

Chris B. -- When you said "WE" you meant you and Rose, right? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 02:12 pm:

There's one right up the road from me at Calaveras Big Trees state park. Although not officially a drive thru, I'm sure a T would fit nicely.tree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 02:41 pm:

Peter, yours is the Tour Through Tree at Klamath.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 08:31 pm:

Thanks Steve I will make sure I record the name for future reference.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration