Adjusting bands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Adjusting bands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 12:05 pm:

can you guys please point me to literature on adjust the bands? I have reverse and low speed adjusted pretty well, I believe. However, I'd like to check the adjustment with specs and I have not even started adjust the high speed. The shop manual doesn't seem to be clear about these adjustments.

Thanks!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 12:56 pm:

The low band would be adjusted to have the pedal stop about 1 to 1 1/2 inch above the floor board. You are in neutral when in reverse, low and braking. High speed, the clutch is engaged and the fingers should be 13/16 above the drive plate.
The 2 inch distance is for checking the spring tension, at 2 inches should be 90 to 100 LBS. Because of wear each finger face needs to be adjusted to the 13/16. If the clutch slips then each screws needs to be turned in the same amount, say 1/2 a turn till the clutch stops slipping.
The link needs to be set by pulling the low pedal back and the hole in the clevis about 1/16 to the front of the clutch arm then the clevis pin is reinstalled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 07:11 pm:

Michael, there are so many variables on worn model Ts that specifications/measurements are often meaningless. Often the best you can do is adjust the bands so they work, rather than meet any specs.
About all you can do is adjust them so the pedal does not bottom out on the floor boards by an inch or so. If you can engage bottom gear, apply full force to the brake pedal and back up without any slipping, then you are good to go. If you have kevlar linings, adjust those on the looser side, rather than giving them less clearance.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 08:32 pm:

That should have read "about 1/16 to the front of the hole in the clutch arm" not "about 1/16 to the front of the clutch arm"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 11:40 pm:

this may be one of those areas that i need some experienced help

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration