Driving on borrowed time: an arachnid miracle.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Driving on borrowed time: an arachnid miracle.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 02:10 pm:

The spider I found in my roadster isn't terrible, but I'll use a better one if I happen to have it. So I've been opening up spare rear axles to see what's in them. So far I've found only one intact thrust washer. In today's patient on the operating table both thrust washers were long gone, and I wonder how long the T was driven without them. It had to be quite a while to make such a godawful mess.

Eight of the ring gear bolts are gone.

The condition of those differential case bolts suggests to me that somebody ignored the grinding sounds and kept driving.

The amazing thing to me is that the spider is about as good as the others I've found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 03:22 pm:

What did the ring gear teeth look like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 03:53 pm:

So many of those old axle housings served many years as trailer axles and never saw a drop of grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 04:26 pm:

Not as bad as I would have expected from the rest of it.

This one was pretty well packed with a mixture of grease, dirt, and ground up parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

The ring gear looks great, I put one much worse in the rear axle of a 3/4 ton pickup years ago, but I only put 160,000 miles on it before replacing it (the pick up not the ring gear)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration