Up Date from guys who purchased new WHITE TIRES

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Up Date from guys who purchased new WHITE TIRES
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Baker on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 02:44 pm:

I have some of the crappy Firestone Tires that turned brown and Cracked and have 0 miles on them.Is there some feed back from some of you that has purchased any in the last 6 months? I see they are now back in stock the rubber formula they tell me is "new and improved". What do you guys hear, and the guys that have them mounted are you happy with your purchase.I have stalled in replacing them,sure would like to get a vote of confidence before I mount another set. What dealers are the best to take care of problems with collector tires? I am waiting for a reply from Coker Tire, they have a "life of the tread guarantee", hope they honor this.

Thanks! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 04:49 pm:

I purchased a set last summer and have not had any issues so far. Mine came from Coker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 07:48 pm:

Dave, you can also try Universal Tire in Hershey PA. They have all types and sizes for antique cars. I got my two-piece rear TT rims and tires from them. Quick service. Coker seemed to be like.."they'll get them to me when they get around to making them".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 07:54 pm:

"Life of the tread", shouldn't be too hard to honor on a new set of white smoothies!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 08:35 pm:

Yes, Mike, I hear you, ;^) but the rubber wears thru to the fabric in no time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

I had a set of Universals that a bad front wheel ate one of in short order. Looked for a couple of years for one to complete my set, with no luck. I recently bought a new one to complete my set. I haven't had a chance to clean up my old ones yet to see if I can get them to match.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 08:52 pm:

I had a New set Of Universals on a roadster I sold, When I got them they were Snow White, after I drove on them 20-30 miles they started to turn color with in just a few weeks and hundreds of checking cracks was visible I used bleach white and SOS steel wool pads to clean them back up.
I coated with tire dressing and parked the car sold it just a very short time after parking it put the car on Jack stands stored it for the buyer for approx4 months, when his shipper arrived the tires were brown as could be, so the rubber from what I see is no different in Firestone or Uneversals last time I looks they are both made in Vietnam....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 09:09 pm:

My understanding is that Coker Tire and Universal Tire are both the same company. I have a set of Universal all white/smooth tires I put on an '06 Buick. They have zero miles and have turned sort of beige/pink. Bleach, acetone, steelwool and much scrubbing has not made any difference. Mine are about 3 yrs old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 09:53 pm:

Since they never used white tires in the first place, why would you want a set?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:21 pm:

Seems to me that they'd be more authentic after they turned brown. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Baker on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:27 pm:

Steve, I have a friend that had black Universals on a 1915 Town Car and they cracked in no time and had them replaced.So it is a rubber problem.
I think they have tried hard to come up with a better rubber formula and address the manufacturing problems and hope they have it fixed. I believe the black tires first arrived around WW1 .

I think the tires made in 2004-2010 are the pink brown ugly ones, and production was stopped.

Whites should stay white. I restore a few vintage art deco three fendered tricycles, I have a roll of New Old Stock white rubber for the trikes, from the 1930s the rubber is still snow white. And some of the restorations are 15 years old and still white!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 11:18 pm:

I bought the all white Wards Riversides from Lucas last summer. Six months later they still look brand new:-)
t

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration