T-1243 Headlight Ring Removal Tool

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: T-1243 Headlight Ring Removal Tool
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 05:11 pm:

I've seen this tool advertised and followed the threads about them and even commented on one of the threads.

Well... I'm here to eat my words. I've never really had much of a problem getting the headlight rings off but a couple of weeks ago I tried to remove one (with great difficulty I finally got it off) that I had previously removed and cleaned and greased for easy future removal(IS there such a thing?).

SO... I broke down and spent the $30 for the tool and Oh My GAWD!~~!!

List me as a fellow convert...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 05:44 pm:

I have never had one that I could not get off using a leather belt wrapped around the rim. Ever (this includes a few that were outside for 50+ years and were simply fused with rust). Having said that now, the next set will probably be impossible to get off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 08:08 pm:

John, who do I contact to get one?

Thank you,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 08:26 pm:

Berg's makes them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 09:57 pm:

I believe it is Bob Bergstadt that is making them. I can't imagine using one on my '25 with out messing up the paint big time. I use my hands, just like I always have, and push and turn! No messing up the paint that way!`

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

A small bit of Duck tape on the ends of tool,and it won't likely mar your paint. They really do work well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:05 pm:

I've never used one period! I just push in whilst turning and they've always come off...even the rusty looking ones. But I suppose those belt strap wrenches you can get over at Harbor Freight probably work just as well...and they're cheap too, about $4.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

I have one of these tools and like it. It REALLY does the job on hard to remove headlight rings.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

Or you can make your own if you're so inclined and have a Zen relationship with your tools. :-)

This appeared in the service bulletins back in the 20s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 05:31 pm:

I have one like the one Ken pictured above. My experience is that it only works if the rim is easily removable. Actually, I can do just as good a job with my bare hands.

Maybe when this was printed back in the '20's, before the T's were all rusted up, it was ok.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 05:59 pm:

I had one that drove me nuts trying to get it off with bare hands until I hit upon the idea of running a length of grippy rubber "tape" (it only sticks to itself, no adhesive) around the rim. The darn thing just about fell of in my hands after that little trick. Now I keep a small role of the stuff in a bag under my seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 12:05 am:

Notice those four 5/16" holes in the tool Ken posted. The purpose of those is to grab the rivets to turn the rim. If you have a tool that squeezes in on the rim like a filter wrench, that's a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 12:15 am:

By the way, making one yourself is a good DIY project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 12:39 am:

I vote with Jelf for a DIY project but don't know how he keeps from setting his beard on fire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 12:46 am:

If you can not remove it with your bare hands, rubber gloves work really well to get a good grip on the ring. No special tools needed.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold R Carpenter - Fair Grove, MO on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:25 pm:

I got one of Bob's tools. It works great. Well worth the investment of $30.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:35 pm:

The nice thing about the rubber strap and handle that the hardware stores like Harber freight sells is you can use them for a score of other jobs. One example is when we were having some trouble getting some large pipe loose in my swimming pool pump house the rubber strap worked real well. There are some things other than headlight rims that the rubber straps works well on.
rubber strap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:37 pm:

$30 is a bargain. The one in my pictures is NOT the new reproduction.

You normally never need one of these, but the day you do need it you will be glad you have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 12:51 pm:

I am the one that makes these here in the USA
I have a few on t-bay right now at 30.00 with free postage in the cont. USA

eBay item number:
Thanks Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration