Kingston Gasifier Vaporzer Carburetor...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Kingston Gasifier Vaporzer Carburetor...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 06:25 pm:

I've been working with Jim Mahaffey on this and we're both rather pleased how it came out...it was a fun project!

As I understand it this probably the most information every offered for this extremely interesting carburetor. Hope everybody finds it useful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 06:58 pm:

I had a vaporizer (NH I think) so this in an interesting "other" model for me to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 07:47 pm:

John, you mean the Holley Vaporizer...it's basically a Holley NH center drain with some fancy hardware on top of it. It's posted here under the title "Holley Vaporizer Carburetor" along with a flow diagram.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 07:58 pm:

Martin,

I'm going to frame it and put it on the wall in my garage! It's magnificent, and you have added to the available documentation of the Kingston B-1.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:02 pm:

Jim, I've been thinking of the cross section flow diagram of this carburetor...I think we'll have to do some rather fancy isometric cross sectioning, with diverse cutaways showing the various paths of the fuel flow. It'll probably take longer than I thought and be sort of hard too, might even require more than one view...sounds fun lets do it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:05 pm:

I think Kingston called it a regenerator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:50 pm:

Larry, no the Regenerator is the B, this is the B-1 Gasifier. They are two different vaporizer carburetors, they look somewhat the same but there are some basic differences...I'm doing the B next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 11:35 pm:

No, the Regenerator was similar, but it was an aftermarket accessory vaporizer that was advertised already in the December, 1924 Ford Owner and Dealer. If you go to page 399 of Bruce's black book he shows the photo of parts for the B-1 Gasifier . That photo comes from the September, 1927 Ford Service Bulletin. The parts shown will not fit a Regenerator, but will fit the B-1 Gasifier. Bruce does make note in the caption that the Regenerator is probably an accessory item.
even Murray Fahnestock wrote an article in the September 1927
I am hoping that James Mahaffey writes an article for the Vintage Ford with all of the information that he has gathered about the Kingston vaporizers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 11:43 pm:

Jim, Jim Mahaffey is the fellow I drew this for, he's sent me the pictures for the B as well and I am currently drawing it. I think these are for that article you're talking about along with a operational flow diagram (if I can settle on how to make it, lol).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 11:45 pm:

Even Murray Fahnestock wrote an article in the September 1927, Ford Dealer and Service Field showing how the B-1 Gasifier works, but he mistakenly labeled the drawings as being for the Regenerator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 12:43 am:

Hi Martin

(You likely already have this . . .)
This patent looks very close and may be the original concept,
but not necessarily the final product as manufactured.

W. S. Carlston
Kokomo, Indiana
Assignor to Byrne, Kingston & Company
Kokomo, Indiana
Fuel Generating Apparatus
Patent Number: 1852343
Filing date Feb. 9, 1927
Issue date April 5, 1932
http://tinyurl.com/koxwozm

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 01:28 am:

Art, thank you, no I didn't have these. Looking at them they look sort of like a conglomeration of both a B and a B-1. It's missing the raw fuel injector knob that's on a B-1 just above the choke which is not on the B, but the exhaust manifold looks like a B-1 and doesn't have the bolt on separation like on the B. But the fuel path looks about right...Jim Mahaffey would know for sure though, me, I'm just the artist.

Given the scale of both of these carburetors (which is the same). Many of the parts listed in the "Model T Ford Service Bulletin Essentials" are the same (with the exception of the manifold), but with different part numbers. Instead of starting with 22 as in part number 2278-SX it starts with 18, thus being 1878-SX (couldn't tell you if they were interchangeable or not though).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 10:15 am:

Art,

Martin is correct, the patent drawing is a hybrid of the B and the B-1 vaporizers. Note that the manifold-to-block connections are characteristic of the Ford Model A, which directly bolted the manifold to the block with studs, and not the Model T, which holds the manifold on with clamps. At the time, Kingston was competing with other manufacturers to be chosen for the Model A production.

The model B Regenerator was sold as an after-market unit in 1928. However, it was introduced in January 1925, and it may have been factory installed on some Fords. (McCalley has a picture of a model B Regenerator in his book, but not the B-1.) There may even have been a Kingston model A vaporizer, having a dash adjustment for the extent of pre-heating of the fuel vapor. This variation was mentioned in teaser advertisements having little information in late 1924. More research is needed.

Ford was impressed by Kingston's work on the Fordson tractor vaporizers, and he was very interested in Kingston's passenger-car version. As the Model T production was winding down, Ford installed Model B-1 vaporizers on cars off the production line as a beta test, hoping for feedback from customers. In the end, the Kingston was too expensive and too complicated, and Ford settled on the Zenith-1 with a vaporizing intake manifold.

Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration