Old Photo - 1913 SA Canadian Tourer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - 1913 SA Canadian Tourer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 05:28 am:

Mr. J Wheaton & Son of McLaren Vale, just south of Adelaide, registered this 1913 Ford, South Australian registration number 4462 in May 1914. Mr. Wheaton was probably the cars second owner. Interesting is the Duncan & Fraser modified bonnet with 8 flutes per side to aid cooling for our hot summers. (It was 43.4°C or 110°F here in Adelaide today).

Hap, as per my private messages you can see this is a first issue plate series in South Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 08:52 am:

David,

We have been taking a few days off for snow and cold weather around here. Be careful and don’t get over heated if you are doing anything outside. I know in this area some of the folks that do roofs in the summer start working before dawn and quit around lunch time because it is just too hot.

Thank you so much for posting the photo and for pointing out the additional information. You often have a lot of good information on when the car was registered, who it was registered to, where it was registered etc. Is the engine number (same as the number stamped on the ID patent plate for Canadian cars well past the 1911 time frame when the USA numbers started to diverge) available for any of those cars or photos of cars? Even without any photos the engine numbers and dates sold might help us bracket some dates (or not…).

No rush, but if you or anyone else can provide some answers to the questions below it would be appreciated.

The lower question should have read "What are those circular objects on top of the spring perches?"

Again thanks to everyone for their help in better documenting the early history of the Fords. And for anyone interested in the Australian Duncan & Fraser Ltd Ford agency please see David’s web site at: http://www.duncanandfraser.com/ Over the years the company sold Fords with Canadian bodies as well as bodies built by their own craftsmen.

And thank you David for helping us better organize the early Ford history.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 11:03 am:

Those circular objects are accessory shock absorbers. I've seen them referenced in a "Ford Owner" magazine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

I guess the driver is behind the tree? "Rest stop".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 06:36 pm:

Erich, I'll bet the driver is holding a camera!
TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 06:41 pm:

Terry, so right. So obvious now that you said it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 12:13 am:

Dear Hap, based on original surviving Canadian assembled 1913's (#178294, C323, C1651 & C4010) I can make the following observations.

The patent plate moved from under the bottom windscreen frame, on the inside for 1912 to the left of the coil box for the 1913 model. Altough the actual patent plate changes design, it remains stamped with the matching engine number, in this C1651.

Duncan & Fraser also ran an accessory business which outstripped the profit on Ford cars. This side of the business gave Duncan & Fraser financial autonomy, a fact which did not escape French in January 1924, but that is another story. On the firewall on C1651 is a small electric light switch. this car was sold with E&J electric light conversions, similar to the car sold to Mr. Wheaton above. I have posted the original receipt for C1651 clearly showing it also had an E&J electric light conversion.

Duncan & Fraser mounted their distributorship plate normally centrally under the windscreen. C1651 has the badge too, similar to the Wheaton car. Hope all this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 11:21 am:

The licence plate and the phone number are the same coincidence?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration